Do-17.....yet again. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hey guys!

I have a question, the Hobbycraft kit is completely devoid of ANY interior detail like an old Lindbergh kit is. Plus there are a lot of windows so yes people will see that there is nothing there. All the reviews I've read is to slavage the seats, control yoke and panel. Then scrap the rest and build your own.

I really would like to try but do you guys think its worth it?

I have the Hobbycraft Do-17Z and started it back about 5 years ago but didn't get far because of the lack of detail in the cockpit. I had intended to do a lot of scratch building there but never got back to it. I think it would be worth it as a lot can be seen, especially if you use the squadron canopies and nose,(I bought those too and they are much better looking than the ones in the kit) but it would be a lot of work, and be sure you have plenty of reference pictures before you start.

EDIT:
Harrison I just read your thread about the Do-17 canopies and Terry does have a point. If you don't have experience with vacuform canopies the Do-17 is probably not the place to start. They're large and oddly shaped and would probably be a pain to cut out and install even for someone who has done a lot of them. Probably best to go with the kit glass and just polish it up and dip it in Future.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Do-17 M 6.jpg
    Do-17 M 6.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Do-17 M4.bmp
    688.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Do-17M 2.bmp
    730.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Do-17M 3.bmp
    408.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Do-17M 5.jpg
    Do-17M 5.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Do17M .bmp
    485.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Do17Mcockpit1.bmp
    678.8 KB · Views: 171
  • OMG.jpg
    OMG.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 128
Oh well. We'll see what I'd like to do ;)

The Do-17M/P manual is SO much more straight forward than theZ...why's that?

Possibly produced much later than the 'Z' kit, with the benefit of hindsight and possibly adverse comments in Press reviews. Or, it could even be a sub-contract, by Hobbycraft, where the kit, instructions and everything are from another manufacturer, just with the Hobbycraft name. It's called 'badge engineering'.

The details is basic, I agree, but that's how most kits were even fifteen years ago. We're spoiled by the exceptional level of detail in some kits these days, and more so by the 'it's done for you just add it' pre-printed PE sets etc. The thing is, there have been some huge advances in moulding techniques, and mould production, even in the last five years and less, which has allowed moulded detail parts not even dreamed off a few years ago. Unfortunately, the production of these moulds is expensive, hence one of the reasons for the ever - increasing cost of kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back