Do 217 color question.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
The photo below is taken from my book "Hitler's Luftwaffe" by Tony Wood and Bill Gunston, Salamander Books, 1977.
The caption reads, "Do 217E-2 of 6/KG 40 at Merignac in 1942".
IMHO, it is a particularly handsome paint scheme. What are the RLM colors used on this airplane? (I do recognize the red and yellow as probably RLM 23 and 04, respectively) I'm interested in any other history of this group. Other aircraft deployed, etc?
Please let me know if this is the correct forum for this question. Thanks!
Do-217.jpg

Going from memory, I believe that the standard Do217E colour scheme was RLM 72 and 73 splinters on top with RLM 65 sides and bottoms. The profile appears to leave a lot to interpretation and it would be good to see a period photo of the actual aircraft.

The photo below is taken from my book "Hitler's Luftwaffe" by Tony Wood and Bill Gunston, Salamander Books, 1977.
The caption reads, "Do 217E-2 of 6/KG 40 at Merignac in 1942".
IMHO, it is a particularly handsome paint scheme. What are the RLM colors used on this airplane? (I do recognize the red and yellow as probably RLM 23 and 04, respectively) I'm interested in any other history of this group. Other aircraft deployed, etc?
Please let me know if this is the correct forum for this question. Thanks!
View attachment 609599
Upon some further searching, I found that this color scheme was titled "Fliegerfuher-Atlantik" livery. One of its pilots was named Wilhelm Schnitter.

Here's another Do-217 in that livery:

KG 40 Do-217.jpg

Again, I'm looking for the RLM color numbers for this gray camo scheme. And thanks for moving this thread to the right location.

That's assuming that the profile in post 1 is correct as profiles can be notoriously wrong. Not saying it is, just be very questioning.

That's assuming that the profile in post 1 is correct as profiles can be notoriously wrong. Not saying it is, just be very questioning.
To be sure. I did see that reference to a "gray camo" color scheme employed by that Atlantic maritime KG 40. And while neither of the profiles I've shown appear to be RLM 72/73 splinter uppers over RLM 65 sides and underneath to my eye, as you point our there's certainly the possibility of fading in that marine environment, as well as the possibility of a white or light gray overcoat applied to the RLM 72/73/65 scheme.
(Musta run out of masking material for the prop blades :))

Aha!! I knew you masters would have some insight here. Now, are there any recommendations as to an early war RLM color to emulate this light gray? RLM 76?

BTW, I added the World War 2 photos link to my Favorites. Thanks.

The RLM 76 was introduced in 1940 for undersides. Contrary to the RLM 65 ( blue with greyish tinge) it was a light grey colour of slightly blue tinge. The FS number may be 36473. Vallejo offers the colour as the Pale Grey Blue of the Model Color series no. 70.907. Also it might be worth to check on the RLM 63 Light Grey - FS36559.

Something I noticed while going through Do 217, Kg.40 seemed to be the only group that had the fuselage codes on the vertical stabs. Its also shown in the site Andy linked, just over halfway down the page http://aufhimmelzuhause.com/10b3bcdd0.jpg
Geo, AFAIR this was done on planes from the E-series, different units. I've seen photos with either 4 or 2 letters from the code.
See here.
And here.
But.......I've seen it on a different versiono_O as well - here.

Last edited:
The RLM 76 was introduced in 1940 for undersides. Contrary to the RLM 65 ( blue with greyish tinge) it was a light grey colour of slightly blue tinge. The FS number may be 36473. Vallejo offers the colour as the Pale Grey Blue of the Model Color series no. 70.907. Also it might be worth to check on the RLM 63 Light Grey - FS36559.
I have Vallejo Model Color 70.907 to serve as RLM 76. I also have Vallejo Model Color 70.990 to serve as RLM 77. Comments?

Also, who makes luftwaffe insignia stencils for 1/72 scale Do 217?

Thanks for all your help.

The Vallejo 70.990 seems to be too much greyish and a little bit too dark if you compare it to the Vallejo 70.907.

What do you mean by the LW insignia stencils ... the LW national markings?

If you do you may check on ...

Print Scale Decals - 1/72 Dornier Do.217 K&M Decals

or ..
XTRADECAL 1/72 72253 LUFTWAFFE HEAVY FIGHTER CROSSES Ju 88 Me 110 Do 17 Do 217 Model Kit Decals

or ..
Aims Do 217 Js & Ns 72D019 model aircraft decals transfers aims Do217

or just check on the Ebay. You may find there a couple of decal sheets from different model kits that are no needed anylonger for modellers.

The Vallejo 70.990 seems to be too much greyish and a little bit too dark if you compare it to the Vallejo 70.907.

What do you mean by the LW insignia stencils ... the LW national markings?

If you do you may check on ...

Print Scale Decals - 1/72 Dornier Do.217 K&M Decals

or ..
XTRADECAL 1/72 72253 LUFTWAFFE HEAVY FIGHTER CROSSES Ju 88 Me 110 Do 17 Do 217 Model Kit Decals

or ..
Aims Do 217 Js & Ns 72D019 model aircraft decals transfers aims Do217

or just check on the Ebay. You may find there a couple of decal sheets from different model kits that are no needed anylonger for modellers.
I was thinking of using the 70.907 to emulate RLM 76 for the overall finish, and 70.990 to emulate RLM 77 for some lightly contrasting airbrushed national markings made with stencils. It is a bit darker and "greyer" than the 70.907. I'd use decals if I can find some that resemble RLM 77.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back