Do americans wash their vegetables before they eat them?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
As an international vegetable breeding company, my company works a lot with foreign companies. Also a lot with american ones, of course. I've been traveling to America some times, but this year it was my colegue's turn.
He visited a company in Californie. They grow quite some of our outdoor crops like spinach, lettuce etc. So as they are outdoor crops, they are, of course, grown outdoor, in the open field, under the blue sky, no roof etc, you know the stuff. To his surprise he had to wear a hair net and special gloves because otherwise "he would make the crops dirty" :lol:
So all the bacteria in the ground (believe me there are quite a few), bacteria in the water (also a lot) in the air, from wild animals, birds etc. are aparently harmless in their eyes, but an occasional hair from some-one's head 'll kill someone???

No offence against our US friends of course, but I thought this was very funny

In the states it is a very good idea to wash vegetables before you eat them.
Not only do the birds not care where they drop their doo-do, but there are
pesticides, fertilizers and who knows what else floating around in the air.
Some vegetables and fruits are coated with a very light coat of wax to
preserve them a bit longer in the stores. Tomatoes, green peppers, apples
and pears are usually coated with this edible wax.

In my own garden I have been known to eat a radish, tomato or green
onion without washing it.

Charles

I know Charles, but the question is: Do you wear a hairnet and medical gloves when working in the garden? :lol:
The coating is new for me tho, I don't believe we do that here in europe. In our company we're working a lot on long shelflive, but in a natural way, which means it must be something in the genes and not transgenic.

I know Charles, but the question is: Do you wear a hairnet and medical gloves when working in the garden? :lol:
The coating is new for me tho, I don't believe we do that here in europe. In our company we're working a lot on long shelflive, but in a natural way, which means it must be something in the genes and not transgenic.

Ah.... I missed the point ! No, I do not wear a hairnet (ball cap, yes, but
only to keep the sun off me) and I do not wear latex gloves. If I'm tilling
or toiling I may wear garden gloves.

Do you know of any Japanese Maple nurseries in the Netherlands ?

Charles

It's California. Stuff that applies in California does not apply in the rest of the world, much less the country. It's Disneyland for adults.

Being in the produce business myself I eat the stuff as I find it . It is req'd to wear hairnets in the kitchen etc but on myend which is wholesale it is not req'd i guess they assume the resaturant will clean them . We get a lot of yellow and red peepers from the Netherlands

Duh..... me not know had to wash. Me usually wipe butt with veggies first.

Just living up to the "stupid American" stereotype that seems to be everywhere these days.:p

I am afraid to ask this question. What part of the Gulf Coast are you from? My original and heart home is Pensacola.

Marcel, I believe the answer you're looking for is two-fold. One, large vegtable companies - like Del Monte, etc. - have regulations that our government has to protect the people. Hairnets, gloves, facial hair, etc. Thats probably why you saw that. Second, Private gardens like for somebody's home usually don't go that far. Being a very sue-happy country, the government wants to protect the public. It seems like a waste but there are the E-Coli outbreaks and insect infestations that occur that may justify it. Because of that they suggest washing all fruit and vegatables, wash your hands, wash your car, keep your lawn mowed, every vehicle registered, no smoking indoors and no talking on your cell phone while driving. :lol:

As a side piece I know the government employes what they call a "Beagle Brigade" - they use beagle dogs at airports to sniff out unwanted or illegal vegatables and fruits. I've supplied them a few dogs over the years.

Yeah, that's a different world. I hear it is a nice place to live when you are not clobbered by hurricanes, just like Pensacola.
We've been very lucky. In 2004, we had Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne, but they all had minimal impact in this area.(Charlie did most of his damage well south of here and the other two did most of their damage to the north in the Tampa/St. Pete area)

Because of that they suggest washing all fruit and vegatables, wash your hands, wash your car, keep your lawn mowed, every vehicle registered, no smoking indoors and no talking on your cell phone while driving. :lol:

You forgot to mention the Motorcyle Helmet and Seat Belt Law. Virginia
is about to pass a law where the cops can stop you if you're not wearing
a seat belt. It use to be a secondary violation.... now it's primary.

Charles

Marcel, I believe the answer you're looking for is two-fold. One, large vegtable companies - like Del Monte, etc. - have regulations that our government has to protect the people. Hairnets, gloves, facial hair, etc. ....
You know Njaco, when I see this I begin to understand you and the other americans complaining about government intrusion a little better. To a point I can understand helmets, seatbelts etc. They could save you, but these hairnets is just silly. It makes no sense. The E.coli polution is no excuse. That happens when the water that you use for watering the plants also flows through a field were animals grase. They can leave their po in the water, gives you E.coli. It has nothing to do with your hair. Further more, the chance of E.coli contamination making you sick is just very slim, I know that as I work with the bacteria on a daily basis.

You forgot to mention the Motorcyle Helmet and Seat Belt Law. Virginia
is about to pass a law where the cops can stop you if you're not wearing
a seat belt. It use to be a secondary violation.... now it's primary.

Charles
Here in the Netherlands, this has been the case for about 20 years now.

Oh the hairnets probably stem from lawsuits about "Waiter, I found a hair inmy soup!". Its even regulated in restuarants that you must wear a hairnet. Holdover from the hippie days.

Its even regulated in restuarants that you must wear a hairnet. Holdover from the hippie days.

Not in Virginia, Chris ! You can go into any restaurant (including fast food)
and altho the preparers are wearing disposable plastic gloves, NO HAIR NETS !

I can remember when anyone who handled food (Waitress or cook) had to
wear a hairnet.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back