Do I need to adjust the prop pitch in a dive?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

To go more faster or slower in a dive, do I need to adjust the RPM to the governor change the prop pitch so I gonna have more or less drag?

PS: I'm not with the game at momment, already a year I don't fly, just asking for when come back.

Im not entirely sure, but im assuming you would change the prop pitch in a dive, but im not sure what to? I'd of thought that because you wanted to slow down in a dive bombing to stay accurate that you'd reduce prop pitch (to 20-50??) to increase drag to further slow the aircraft in conjunction with air brakes (depending on the aircraft)

I know that you change your prop pitch to a lower pitch when travelling long distances at cruise speed to conserve fuel (is that right?). Im intrigued to find the answer to your above question as Im not that certain.

100% pitch is the 'fine' setting for that A/C (aircraft) and 0% is minimum 'coarse' pitch specified A/C adjustment limits.
You want to reduce as much as you want to accelerate faster and same time this reduces airflow pushing the prop/engine to overspeed damage. For climb, increase pitch closer to 100%.

Think of prop pitcj like a manually selectable automatic gearbox - 100%=lowest gear, 0%=highest gear. But remember you can be at the wrong altitude and speed for the wrong gear, and that is also ignoring the differences in engines and aircraft - some had different methods of adjusting/controlling engine revs or prop revs, let alone the auto systems of Daimler Benz verses BMW's version...

Get it wrong with engine overheat and realistic damage on, and you motor if overspeeded, will/can die a mechanical death - dependant on how long it takes to bring it under control that is - sometimes you can hear the 'lumpiness' of damaged engine (akin to fractured bearings/bent valves/stress cracked casings), other times, it'll just stop as if you let/made it rip its valve heads off the valve stems.

Overheating can have a slower death.. Ingame online air-racing can teach you that...

Last edited:
It seems to me that the main effect in Il-2 of adjusting prop pitch during a dive is that it affects is engine RPM and potential overheating. I've never noticed that it had a noticeable effect on speed. I've also never had an engine burn up if I forgot to adjust pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back