Do You Live Next To A Toxic Waste Site?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

couple of years ago houses in the cleaned Love Canalarea were selling for about 10000 I'd buy one if I lived there its probably one of the cleanest areas in the world now cost about 1billion to clean up

:D Nope. but we do have countries only explosive manufacturing plant next to the town in a heavily wooded area.

Nice to know your town is part of the blast zone. :shock:

We train up there once a year for the Fire Brigade.

A HUGE Pucker factor of 10 a few years ago when we got called out for a bush fire there. Fortunately it was small and we sure worked like 40 bastards to get it out fast. :)

Toxic, nope. Interesting, oh yes.

Niagara Falls was the first and largest in the world supplier of AC/DC electricity and had the largest sewer in the form of the river .With the pioneering of large hydro electricity we tended to gain industries here that were heavy power consumers . Some of the companies that were founded in Niagara are Alcoa, Union Carbide, Carborundum because of the abundance and waste wasn't much of a concern back in the 1910-1950 era so we suffered initially from the discovery of toxic waste.
The Love Canal after being used a waste pit was sold by Hooker Chemical for a sum of $1 to the city of Niagara Falls NY in the 50's but never told the city it had been used to dump dioxins (42,000,000 lbs of toxic waste) it was filled in and made into a subdividion and 900homes were buily on it. Years after it was built filled 45gals drums were rising to the surface.
Its claim to fame was the worlds first recognized ecological diasaster

I went by there one time - it's weird how a whole community is fenced off. I was told you could toss rocks over the fenced area and they would spark as they hit the pavement...

I went by there one time - it's weird how a whole community is fenced off. I was told you could toss rocks over the fenced area and they would spark as they hit the pavement...

I heard the same thing. I used to work with a guy that was lived in that neighborhood. He told me the sparking was from phosphorus compounds.

Greetings from Sludge Lagoons 6 miles to my west. When we cycle the drag about 1/4 mile to the west of that stinker on a hot summers day ........... oh crap what's that smell ??
such.gif

Hey, I thought my whole state was a Toxic Waste Site? Oh well. Ten years ago we had the number one Superfund site here in town - Lipari landfill/Alcyon Lake. I helped with removing the turtle population when they cleaned the lake. It was interesting. Now I don't need a nightlight when I go to bed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back