Doc B29 might fly again (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There are quite a few static displays around, and only one currently flying, "Fifi". I am waiting for Doc to be flying again. I am hoping to one day see Doc and Fifi together in the sky.

Wikipedia lists these as one day possible restorations. Keep in mind that Wiki is not always the best source.

Under restoration or in storage (complete airframes)

B-29

44-69729 – shrink-wrapped and stored outdoors with the outer wing panels removed at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, Washington. Facilities to store the aircraft indoors with the Museum's B-17 are in the final planning stages.[36]
44-69972 Doc – being restored to active flying status. After a three year absence due to lack of funds, restoration has resumed in February 2013 in the Kansas Air National Guard hangar across from the Kansas Aviation Museum in Wichita, Kansas; no longer accessible to the general public.[37]
44-70049 – in storage for Kermit Weeks at Borrego Springs, California. One of four B-29s obtained by Walt Disney Studios from the U.S. Navy at NAWS China Lake, California for use in the movie The Last Flight of Noah's Ark.[38]
45-21787 Fertile Myrtle – Restored Nose Section and remaining unrestored fuselage sections are on display at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida. The rest of the aircraft is in storage at Aero Trader in Ocotillo Wells, California. This aircraft was used for the flight sequences in the Walt Disney Studios film, The Last Flight of Noah's Ark.[39]

Under restoration or in storage (partial airframes)

B-29

42-24791 The Big Time Operator (nose section only) – currently in Maryland awaiting restoration for the QuestMasters Online Museum May 2014.[40] previously in storage at the Edward F. Beale Museum at Beale AFB in Marysville, CA.[41]
44-69957 (wreckage) – in storage at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in California. Took a direct hit from weapons testing. The nose was used in the restoration of 'Doc'.[42]
44-70102 Here's Hopin – in storage at the Naval Museum of Armament Technology adjacent to Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake in Ridgecrest, California.[43]
44-84084 – in storage for Kermit Weeks at Borrego Springs, California. One of four B-29s obtained by Walt Disney Studios from the U.S. Navy at NAWS China Lake for use in the movie The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (see 44-70049 above for the other surviving example). Wings were installed on 44-61535; other two Disney B-29s were destroyed (44-62112 and 44-62222).[44]

B-29A

44-61739 (nose section only) – in storage at the Museum of Aviation at Robins AFB in Warner Robins, Georgia.[45]
44-62134 – in storage at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, California.[46]

I remember watching the video of the B29 taxiing, then only a few seconds later it being engulfed in flame. Makes your heart sink a little....

Philip

No doubt. Nova did a special on this recovery several years ago. I'm memory serves me a loose battery in a rear compartment came loose and started the fire. All that work and it all went up in flames due to one oversight. Granted they were in a bit of a hurry as they had limited time to get her off the ground.

the APU fell over and caught fire

Kee bird, the wings and engines did not burn. What a shame, they got in too big a hurry, and I think the fuel can that the APU was running on spilled on it and caught fire. They should have had a bunch of Co2 extinguishers before even trying to start one engine on it and a good water pump as well. For a project like that the fire fighting equipment is almost just as important as the gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back