Does anyone here get into Reno air racing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grampi

Senior Airman
Aug 22, 2013
I've been to two of the races myself...to say I was in awe of all the planes and their crews is an understatement! As impressive at it was to see these planes doing in excess of 500 MPH around the course, I've gotta say watching the crews work on the planes in the pits was equally impressive. Also amazing is seeing all the mods these guys have done to these planes...getting double, and in some cases, almost triple the HP out of these engines as compared to stock AND getting them to hold together long enough for a race seems like a magic trick to me. I don't know how they do it! I'm looking forward to going back again some day...and to discussing the subject...

Been there many times and have a good file of all the races in Excel.

Should be a GOOD one this year since Tuger Destefani is coming out of retirement to race Strega against Stevo Hinton in Voodoo. This one should be a very good race ... if either of them finish. The Merlins can't GO 8 laps at 140 inches. They get heat=soaked and the fast Mustangs are throttling bacl every two laps or so ... unless pressed. Perhaps they will press each other into the DNF category and Sherman Smoot will win! Who can say.

I volunteer at teh planes of Fame and naturally support Stevo Hinton Jr., but tiw ill be a race to watch on Sunday afternoon. My bet is one or both will do a 500+ mph lap on the other days and then throttle back and smoothly finish the heats in whatever place and however low a throttle setting it takes to make the Gold final. Only THEN will either of them maybe really push each other.

Tiger is flying the lasyt Dwight Thorne racine "Merlin" and Voodoo's engine, while not a Thorne unit, is NO slouch. Stevo is building it himself.

I'll be watching Joe's Jet calls with more interest than usual this year, too. Joe, which plane are you crewing for? Best of luck to your team!

Go fast and turn left!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back