**** DONE: 1/24 Cessna O-1E "Bird Dog" - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very smart Charles. I was looking through the Squadron book and couldn't find any interior shots but I did find several aircraft in Canadian markings and this...
Capture2.JPG

(From the Squadron book)

Geo

Working on the wings, getting them sanded, doped and sanded some more prior to covering with tissue. Not much to show for my efforts.... Pic's after I get them covered.

Charles

Trying something new, today. Just finished covering the wings with Red tissue paper. This is the kind of tissue that you would put inside a gift, as a garnish. It's very fragile, especially when wet. Lots of modelers use it who actually fly their planes, because it is so light-weight. I'm letting the clear dope dry real good before I try to trim it, then spritz it down with water to shrink it. Pic's after it's dry...... if it works !

Charles

Looking very smart Charles. I was looking through the Squadron book and couldn't find any interior shots but I did find several aircraft in Canadian markings and this...
View attachment 227203
(From the Squadron book)

Geo

Isn't that funny, cleared the deck, to allow an Attempt. The stall speed must be equal to the forward speed of the carrier. They could have hovered and Dropped onto the deck in a space the size of the little bugger! Musta taken him forever to catch up to the carrier!

The wings are dry, and before I put them away I will give them a coat of the 50/50 clear dope/thinner mix. First pic shows them adrying. In the last pic you can see where the tissue shrunk so much, the tissue tore ! This will require a small patch. Now to coat the fuselage/tail and the wings with dope, prior to putting them together. Red wings, anyone ???

Thanks for checking in....

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0250.JPG
    DSCN0250.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN0251.JPG
    DSCN0251.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0254.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 64
Bill, I added the video of the landing to the Aviation Videos Thread.
Geo

I just saw it. Fantastic story. It can be unnerving seeing a carrier in the distance on the water, doesn't look possible you could land Anything on it. I've only been on one carrier landing, in an H-34J on the Yorktown. He was waffeling a bit, near stall speed I would guess, but then the deck is moving in the same direction and gives a false sense of speed. Good one!!!!

The patch job on the starboard wing did not work. When I hit it with a brush, it caved in. So I had to recover the wing from the next to last rib to the tip. Each wing has gotten two full coats of the 50/50 mix, and I got the wheels on to stay. Pic's when I have something to show....

I think I would like to do a high wing monoplane covered with just colored tissue and not painted, except for clear dope.
Maybe soon ?

Charles

Last edited:
As I mentioned charles by MP is fascinating airplanes balsa wood, the old Birg a great job and I like a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back