**** DONE: 1/24 Cessna O-1E "Bird Dog" - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Worked on the Bird Dog, today. Got the cockpit painted, inside and out, with the Green Zinc Cromate. Also attached the gear fairing and repaired the starboard wing tip (last pic). Trying to decide how to paint this thing. Do I paint it before I put the wings on, or after ? Gotta worry about the windows and front and rear windshields, too.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0255.JPG
    DSCN0255.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCN0258.JPG
    DSCN0258.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCN0260.JPG
    DSCN0260.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 70
RCAF....Red color and finish?
I'd paint it first to make it easier with the clear pieces. You can always use the hairy stick to do touch-up.

Had a friend in the States who bought a Citabria, it looked just like that when repairs were under way after his first landing!!

Lookeeeng goood Charles.

Decided to paint the wings separate from the fuselage and tail, probably have to do a little touch up after they are assembled. Painting is going on as we speak. Found some left over Light Ghost Gray from the Tomcat and some Light Gray from the Rufe, so mixed them together. I think the gray is acceptable. Because the tissue is so taut, the paint is going on well. Pic's later this evening.

Charles

As promised.... With the flash, the plane looks white. It's not, it's light gray. Going to let the paint cure for a couple of days, then add decals and a coat of clear coat. After that put the wings and wing supports on. Then it's the front rear windshields and the side windows.

Have to repaint the Green Zinc Cromate, too.

Charles

Attachments

• DSCN0265.JPG
    DSCN0265.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0267.JPG
    DSCN0267.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN0269.JPG
    DSCN0269.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Did some touch-up. today. Repainted the Green Zinc Cromate, on the cockpit interior. Also trimmed away the excess paper in front of the front windshield and behind the rear one. Painted the intakes on the nose piece, gloss black, too. Would you believe, 48 hours after painting the Light Gray, the fuselage is not dry ?? Looks like she's going to take awhile. I need to find a 3/8" tail-wheel. Maybe buy a toy car and swipe one ?

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back