**** DONE: 1/32 A6M2 Model 21 Zero EIII-117 ‘Carrier ZUIHO’ - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Aircraft Carrier Planes GB 15

User Name : Wayne Little
Category : Non Competing Judge
Entry : Mitsubishi A6M2 Model 21 Zero EIII-117 Flown by Lt. Moriyasu Hidaka
Kit : Doyusha 1/32
Accessories : Eduard Seat Belts...maybe some extras...?

getting in early on this one....

I decided to build this older DOYUSHA offering of the ZERO rather than the excellent TAMIYA I have in my stash, as I wanted to see just how well it would go together.
It has been around for a while, previously released under the TOMY label quite some time ago.
While the external detail is a bit heavy, in terms of panel lines and riveting, I think that once assembled and painted it should scrub up ok….we will see…..

This Mitsubishi built Model 21 Zero was reportedly flown by Lieutenant Saneyasu or Moriyasu Hidaka from the Imperial Japanese Navy Light Carrier "ZUIHO" during the battle of SANTA CRUZ, 26th October 1942.

At this time "ZUIHO" was the Third Aircraft Carrier of the 1st Koku Sentai (Carrier Division)
This is indicated by the 3 White bands applied to the rear fuselage and the initial part of the Aircraft's code "E" (1st Group)"III" (3rd Carrier)

The White Stripe on the Vertical Tail indicated the aircraft was flown by a "Shotaicho" leader of a Shotai of 3 aircraft (Flight Leader)

Note : The "E" code, at this time, was carried over from the 5th to the 1st Koku Sentai, after the Loss of the 4 Carriers of the 1st and 2nd Divisions at Midway in June 1942.
The "A" code identifier would be reinstated to the 1st Koku Sentai on the 1st November 1942 during a reorganization of the Carrier Divisions.

It is a little known fact to most, that at this time the A6M2 Zero aircraft of the IJN Carrier Groups had begun using a Broad Yellow identification stripe along the leading edge of the wings to help in identifying Friend from Foe in combat.
The yellow stripe being almost invisible in Black and White period photo's when applied onto the Olive-Grey colour.

Red and Yellow had been used in trials and it was decided to adopt the Yellow marking.
Soon after, the application of Dark Green Camouflage began appearing on Zero aircraft giving them their more familiar look with the use of the Yellow leading edge stripe.
The B5N2 Kate and D3A1 Val's had already been using the Dark Green Upper surface colour for a while and it is clear that the Yellow stripe was much more striking and obvious than Red would have been with the Green .

Images: j.aircraft.com via Jim Lansdale from Maru, "Nihon-no Sentoki," 2000, p.17 and 18

Attachments

• A6M2 EIII-117 a.jpg
    A6M2 EIII-117 a.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 417
  • A6M2 EIII-117 b.jpg
    A6M2 EIII-117 b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 479
  • A6M2 Zero_1344.jpg
    A6M2 Zero_1344.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 494
Last edited by a moderator:
I know you love to do the Zero's, I've seen your pic's of them at the model shows. I'm sure this will be another contest-quality model.

Shame that's not a 1/48 Zero.... I know where you can find a few canopys....

Charles

Last edited:
Very nice Wayne. I have a Tamiya 1/48 A6M3 in my stash but have not collected all the correct colors to do it yet. Looking forward to this sir.:thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back