**** DONE: 1/32 Messerchmitt Bf 110D, 6./ZG 76 M8+SP - Me/ Fw Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
Name: Cory
Category: Beginner
Model: Bf 110D-1/R1
Scale: 1:32
Manufacturer: Dragon
Aftermarket addons: Eagle Editions decals, comes with PE seat belts.

Alright, with the mishap with my 190, while I wait and see what the part situation looks like I'm going to enter this. I only recently picked this up, but I'm looking forward to this. I'm NOT going to build it as a D-1/R-1 with the Dackelbauch fuel tank. Not really a huge fan of it or the schemes in the box, so I've called up George, who some of you may remember I got a bunch of decals from last summer, and he's got an insane number of decals. I have to pick them up this evening, but here is the set I got:

eaglecal_32_bf110c-1.jpg

eaglecal_32_bf110c-2.jpg

Now, I'm not even sure which version of the D that plane is, but I'm assuming it's early. I know very little about the 110, or this unit, so any help here would be great. This review states there's no historical info on the plane that comes with the sheet, so I'm assuming it doesn't have a version with it either: IPMS/USA Decal Review: Eagle Editions EagleCal 1/32 Bf-110 C/D

What I've found is that after the Dackelbauch was considered a failure they switched to wing mounted drop tanks. I don't want to have to do any major converting, so I'm really just assuming it's feasible. What's interesting about this kit is that George's son actually worked with Jerry Crandall on the markings for the kit decals. I feel almost guilty not using them, but they're pretty boring to me. :lol: I'm going to spray the cockpit and everything else that's 02 today. Also, what colour would the seatbelts be? They don't come painted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprayed the 02 and picked up the decals. Here's exactly what the sheet says about it:

This aircraft equipped with the short span rudder trim tabs. Photographed without the armoured windscreen. Wing pylons not attached. So it looks like I got off lucky, as I'm not sure the kit comes with the wing pylons. It does however, come with the centerline bomb rack. Would this be attached?

Seatbelts are kind of a pale gray/white Cory.

Did a quick flip through my 110 books and didn't find that scheme on the Eagle Cals. Usually, Eagle are pretty good at stating a reference for their schemes so it's a bit odd that they didn't in this case. A great book for reference is "Messerschmitt Bf 110 C, D, and E: An Illustrated Study" by Vasco and Estanislau. I won't post any scans from it unless John agrees (which he won't!) but if you have any detail questions, let me know. The first thing to be sure of is that the kit has the extended rear fuselage of the D which housed the life raft.

My mistake Andy, it does list a source, I just didn't post it. It's listed as "The Messerschmitt Bf 110 in Color Profile 1939-1945. The kit does have the extended fuselage (though I didn't know why it was extended), and that's why I chose this plane on the sheet particularly, as I was limited by that. Thanks Andy!

Just found out that the Eduard Royal Class kit of this aircraft also carried this scheme, identified as "Bf 110D 'M8+SP', 6./ZG 76, flown by Fw. Spitzner; Argos, Greece, April 1941"

The kit should also have an odd looking longitudinal protrusion resembling a thin tube running from the rear Bordfunker's location to the extended tail on the port side. This was in fact a pull cord that opened the raft container from the cockpit.

Edit: Found a pic:

Attachments

• 1-Bf-110D-6_ZG76-(M8+CP)-Spitzner-Greece-1941-01.jpg
    1-Bf-110D-6_ZG76-(M8+CP)-Spitzner-Greece-1941-01.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:
Thanks for the info Andy, I'll see if I can find any more on it. I've managed to find the book EE used as their source.

Bordfunker? Not sure what that is exactly. :lol: But I think I know what you mean, as there's a long metal rod that comes with the kit.

That's it. Looks like you've got the right stuff. Bordfunker = radio operator.

BTW, in that pic I posted it's interesting to see that the wingman's plane looks like a C model as it doesn't have the raft and the tail wheel is slightly different.

Thanks VB.

Just found that photo and a profile in the book I found Andy, though yours is better quality. Also seems like my German is beyond rusty! The profile I found is much better than the one EE provides and gives me something to go by. One thing I'm not sure about is that black, almost exhaust stain, on the port rudder. Seems quite odd, though you can see it in the photo. Could it just be a shadow?

Picture 18.png

That is also an interesting point about the different versions.

That's a nice selection Cory and what a huge machine it will be when finished. Another thread to watch with interest.

Good one Cory. Stain was most likely caused by a rich engine or possibly an oil leak. Could be on the one side or both. I've seen pics of P-38's with the same condition, and it happens because the engine is directly in line with the tail fin.

Cheers

Peter

I can't be sure, without seeing a better quality print, but I don't think that 'black' mark on the fin is actually there! I think it might be a spot or scratch on the original film negative, which has printed as black. But as I say, can't be 100% sure.

Just an random thought concerning the black mark on the rudder. This might go deep, but if indeed it is a scratch or spot on the original photo or negative it seems quite odd to me how well it conforms to the overall shape of the rudder. A scratch or dust particle that extactly takes on the shape of the rudder somehow seems unlikely to me, unless it's retouched that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back