****DONE: 1/32nd Ju87G-2 of Fw Josef Blümel, 10(Pz.)/SG-3, S7+EN Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To start off the 4th Group Build of WW2AIRCRAFT.NET, here is my submission:

Username: lesofprimus
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/32
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Ju 87G
Details: Undecided Decals, will be alot of scratch building, possibly an aftermarket gun set....

Facing ever-increasing numbers of Russian tanks, the RLM considered using airborne, large bore, anti-tank cannons. One of the planes considered for use in this role was the Ju-87 and so a production D-3 was fitted with two 600 lb., 37mm Bk-37 cannons in streamlined pods under the wings. Equipped with a pair of 6-round clips held in trays on each side of the weapon, the 3 lb. shells used either Wolfram Core armor-piercing rounds or blunt-nosed High-Explosive shells for soft targets. To compensate for the increased weight of the plane without bombs, one of the wing machine guns was removed with the other being retained for aiming purposes.

Tests were successful and production began by converting finished D-3s to this role, the result being dubbed the Ju-87G-1.

While the G-1 was a conversion, the G-2 was made on the production line using the basic D-5 airframe and extended wings. The major difference, other than the wing, was that the wing bulge and fairing for the removed wing machine gun were themselves removed for a slight reduction in drag.

By the end of 42 the G-1 Panzerjäger became operational. The first unit (1./St.G.2 under Rudel) was extremely successful, and after Oct 43 a Ju 87 G-Staffel was added to each of the newly formed Schlachtgeschwader. Rudel himself was eventually credited with 519 tank kills while flying the G-1. However, since the spring of 1943, the decimated and overworked Schlachtgeschwader were encountering ever-increasing Soviet fighter opposition which forced them to restrict themselves largely to nocturnal operations or areas over which the Luftwaffe still retained air superiority. Consequently for daytime operations the Fw 190 F was replacing the Stukas, the Ju 87s being transformed to the Nachtschlachtgruppen, and by the autumn of 1944 only one Gruppe, Rudel's III/SG 2, was still on daylight operations with Ju 87 Ds and Gs.

Attachments

• Stuka 002.jpg
    Stuka 002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Stuka 005.jpg
    Stuka 005.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 455
  • Stuka 007.jpg
    Stuka 007.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 455
  • Stuka 009.jpg
    Stuka 009.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 457
  • Stuka 012.jpg
    Stuka 012.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 464
  • Stuka 015.jpg
    Stuka 015.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Stuka 016.jpg
    Stuka 016.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 450
Nice one Dan! Should be another cracker of a model!
I'll post my thread a bit later, when I've dried out! Just got in after being in the rain and wind all day!

Les

That is a wicked cool looking plane. I love the look of the big cannons hanging on the wings. I need to see if I can find one of these in 1/72 for future use. If this is anything like the F4 Corsair from the Pacific GB we are in fro a thrill. Then again if its anything like your B-24 from the MTO GB... Well... we may not be so impressed... :sign5:

Hope you're feeling better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back