**** DONE: 1/40 Grumman F-14 "Tomcat" - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Username: ccheese
Name: Charles
Category: Intermediate
Manufacturer: Guillows
Kit: Display (non-flying) balsa/tissue F-14 "Tomcat"
Scale: 1:40
Accessories: None, OOB build.

This is not going to be someone's aircraft, just a carrier borne F-14 "Tomcat". Wingspan is 19 inches (48.26 cm) extended and 10 inches (25.40 cm) swept back. Length of model is 18.5 inches (45.99 cm). I intend to build the model with the wings swept back. Gear up or down is being debated.

This will also be my first jet balsa build.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2570.JPG
    DSC_2570.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_2572.JPG
    DSC_2572.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen a balsa jet before!
Looking forward to your master touch on this one.
Just my 2 cents worth, wheels up.

Paul: Your advise on the gear is noted.... I must say I have never seen a construction method like the one utilized in this build, in all my years of model building. This is going to be a real challenge...

Charles

I suspect this one will float too!

Nice one Charles, and don't punch any holes in the wing this time!

Actually, they all will float.... just some are not intended to do so. Punching holes in wings and breaking stringers goes along with the build.

Hope to get construction started tomorrow, today was just too busy doing other things.

Charles

Looking forward to this Charles!

Would say gear down personally, but she looks great in flight too, so whatever you fancy.

Had the man who planned the F-14s swing wing at our work early last year. He was doing a project with my engineer mates who were 'thinking of me the whole time' he was talking with them about the problems and solutions involved in swing wing design, but didn't bloody ring or tell me to go up! Would have been interesting...

Wow... that looks complicated, Charles

It is Karl. I have never seen a construction method like this in all my years of modelling. Just have to take it slow and read and re-read the instructions. It needs to be so precise they give you a 90 degree gauge. It's at about 7 o'clock on the pic's. Any resemblance between what you see and an F-14 is strictly accidental.....

BTW, we have two votes for gear up and one for gear down.

Here's where we are today....

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2573.JPG
    DSC_2573.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_2574.JPG
    DSC_2574.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Got all of the fore and aft topside stringers on today. Not much to show for about five hours of work.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_2575.JPG
    DSC_2575.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back