**** DONE: 1/48 A6M3 Q-102 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rogi

Master Sergeant
Aug 1, 2011
Username:Rogi
First Name: Igor
Category:3 (Just a reguler out of the box again )
Scale: 1/48
Kit Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: A6M3 Zero
Details: Well, I'm almost done the Bf-109 and P-51 in my other thread, so I thought before this GB is over to jump in with a A6M3. Wayne is partially to blame with his awesome A6M2 that inspired the start of this build :D

I'll most likeley do one to portray a captured Japanese Zero that was tested in the US. Similar to the pic here (taken from j-aircraft's site and Mr.Bill Pippin if I can't use the images please let me know but there the best ones I've found of the bird and they work great for refrences :))

Now if I can only figure out if they re-painted these birds in a Marine Blue color (as some model portray) or if they kept/re-painted them in a Grey scheme.

eb-201-5.jpg

6304L.jpg

If I decide to do EB-201 this is so far all the info. I've found on the bird, stating that at one time the aircraft was painted in a all grey scheme,

Pacific Wrecks - A6M3 Model 32 Zero (Hybrid from several wrecks)

If gathering enough info. on the plane's colors fails or I can't find the proper decals for the tail in my stash, I might have to switch to another US Zero or one of the Tamiya Options. Will keep you guys updated on the build progress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm. Not to rain on your parade, rogi, but wasn't the Aircraft in Foreign Service GB some time ago ?

Guess Vic and the others will have to weigh in on this. However, a Zero is an excellent choice for this GB.

Charles

Hmmmm. Not to rain on your parade, rogi, but wasn't the Aircraft in Foreign Service GB some time ago ?

Guess Vic and the others will have to weigh in on this. However, a Zero is an excellent choice for this GB.

Charles

Someone replied somewhere that as long as its designed as a carrier based aircraft it'll do in whatever markings(I have to check where :S should of bookmarked) I don't mind changing them at all, since I'll most likely do the J.N Grey scheme anyway, and the Tamiya Decals look amazing for 30 year old decals, the previous owner put them in a excellent little baggy that protected them somehow.

Either way Japanese or the US markings is cool with me, I'll just have to edit the top post if the judges decide to do a Japanese Zero or I change my mind, but either way is cool with me :) You know what to save too much stuff etc and in the spirit of the GB I'll do the Japanese one, just give me a bit to change the info. and data.

interestingly enough the Tamiya Decals for Q-102, The Japanese aircraft I'll make Is one of the aircraft they used to build EB-201, can you imagine that :D ? What an odd coincidence :D

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/a6m3/3030.html

I'll just need the title of the GB post changed :D hehe.

I'll change the info. for the build as soon as I come back home today :)

Last edited:
rogi: I would wait til Vic has his say.... you may be ok...

Charles

Thank you Charles, I'll wait then :) just in case its ok. Thank you so much Fubar for the link too :) but I plan to finish this pup in a month to two max, I might have seen that book at my local hobby shop, the cover is familiar.

I guess I should start regardless, the construction was pretty simple of the center section of the cockpit. I let it dry, while doing that I painted the side sections of both fuselages. Just now I was able to paint the remaining piece the Tamiya Interior Green. I applied the bottom decal for one of the panels, just as the paint haddried (I fan dry a lot to increase the drying time, its a picky procedure but it takes around 10-15 minutes on my half broken hair fan. Since its broke, it drys on extra low speed, moving it around the sections makes the work a tad quicker but not by a lot, common cracking can occur if you overdo it)

DSCN5274.jpg

Not to be lazy, I took the knife and cut out the decals to be applied sometime tomorrow onto the center section of the cockpit.
DSCN5275.jpg

Since these are around 30 year old decals, even in the excellent condition they came in (almost like new) I try to cut out as much as possible of the "clear" section so it doesn't fog or cloud (even with future applied some older decals usually fog or cloud on me if I leave the clear section exposed)
DSCN5276.jpg

last but not least, I seperated the top section so it goes on nice and smooth onto the panel.
DSCN5277.jpg

Last edited:
I did a Zero in the Captured GB...... White with green crosses with the RNZAF.

nevertheless, I see no reason for it Not to be included in the Carrier GB. It's not In foreign service as much as Captured. IMHO.
We'll see what the judges have to say......

Good start so far, and as far as I'm concerned it is eligible, but as Charles pointed out, it is somewhat repeating a previous GB, which we're trying to avoid - but no problem from me, given the other judges agree.
Concerning the colours, I would think from the tonal reproduction, it is a grey shade, but as my knowledge of Japanese aircraft and their colours is equal to my knowledge of quantem physics, I have no idea what the colour spec would be!
If it happens to be blue, which I'm doubtful about, then it appears to be a very light blue, perhaps a grey-blue, not like the shade I've seen displayed on other captured Zeros.

Good start so far, and as far as I'm concerned it is eligible, but as Charles pointed out, it is somewhat repeating a previous GB, which we're trying to avoid - but no problem from me, given the other judges agree.
Concerning the colours, I would think from the tonal reproduction, it is a grey shade, but as my knowledge of Japanese aircraft and their colours is equal to my knowledge of quantem physics, I have no idea what the colour spec would be!
If it happens to be blue, which I'm doubtful about, then it appears to be a very light blue, perhaps a grey-blue, not like the shade I've seen displayed on other captured Zeros.

The Zero in question EB-201 was re-built (from 3 airframes including the Tamiya decaled option Zero Q-120, which they used in EB-201s re-construction) and applied American paint colors, so its probobly a American light grey (or neutral grey? whatever they use on P-40s etc) or a light marine blue as you suggested. I might do a very light blueish grey color, I think at this time it might also be J.N Grey. but the only mention of a re-paint is through one source, and all 3 airframes used are in J.N Grey.

Its odd but 2/3 of the aircraft used to make the Zero "Eb-201" are on my Tamiya Decal sheet :D

From J-aircraft pictures it does appear to be in a grey color.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doysYtwMgrY

Last edited:
Not much problem from this side Igor, it is a carrier built a/c so in that respect it qualifies. The fact that you have chosen to represent it as a captured machine is purely your decision and this should have no effect on your entry.

Having spouted all that Igor, nice choice and good luck with the colour, maybe Wayne well chip in with some info on the colour after all this is his forte.

It's ok with me too, still a carrier based bird!

The aircraft if rebuilt from other aircraft would definitely be painted in US colour(s),,,just what dunno, but looks a shade of light grey or maybe light blue-grey??

If you could nail down whether it was the Navy or the Army that did the reconstructing then it would probably be the USN light grey or the USAAC neutral grey, just a thought.

I recently came across the Australian War Memorial site, and WOW thank you Australia for keeping everything in tact and having such great photos! They have lots of photos of the aircraft in question and of its repair. I've recently sent them a email enquiring to the aircraft's color. :)

In some of the photos it appears light grey, then neutral and during the build dark grey (but it might be primer?) It by American Army Air Force personelof the Technical Air Intelligence unit.(I'm not sure if any Australian Personel aided as well, still checking out the photos but its most likeley the case)

This aircraft fascinates me :D

Whats more they have a lot more other Japanese Aircraft that they repaired and tested, Ki-61 in American markings, some Nakajima models etc. really cool stuff.

Last edited:
Sounds good, let's hope they are able to help. If not, I think I'd go with a light grey, similar to Neutral Grey, maybe with a touch of blue (perhaps like RLM 78 ?).

Your right about the Aussie War Memorial site Igor, it's a cracker and so is the museum which is also attached as part of it. They have tons of great stuff on display from the early wars of the British Empire up to the current conflicts in the Middle East. Wherever an Aussie has been in military uniform, the memorial will have a record and possibly items relating to either tucked away somewhere or on display. Just down the road from me is one of their huge storage sheds and yard and a as you drive past one can see the remains of a V1 rocket sticking up.

Vic, the site is amazing, there actually organized and its easy to move through (unlike some of our museum's sites) its great to see history so easily acesible to modelers and non-modelers alike. :)
If I ever go to visit Australia I'll definatley check it out :D

now on the.....model :D
So the decals dried on the cockpit section, its not looking too bad :D
DSCN5278.jpg

DSCN5279.jpg

DSCN5282.jpg

Unfortuantley I'm missing the side decal, so I'll just dot in some buttons on the panels later on.

Took the opportunity to weather the side panels of the cockpit. After the base coat of IJN Green I then mix a dark brown with IJN Green, after a couple coats dry brushed it appears "dirty". After, I take a coat of IJN Green (mixed with yellow) and I mix a lighter green (this is a craft store almost neon green paint to get the final effect.) Which gives some seections a faded appearance, as if the aircraft has been there a while, unkept.

Since I'm not 100% certain on the aircraft's interior if it was very dirty or distressed, I gave it a bit of a "rusted/dirty" appearance." I hope it can work out for EB-201, I'm on the borderline I beleive with the rusty/dirty look it would pass better as Q-102 but I'm on the fence with making either EB-201 or Q-102, what do you guys think, would it be too dirty of a look for a US Zero?:D

DSCN5285.jpg

DSCN5284.jpg

and After the weathering, still a coat or two of touch ups and repaints on the panels but its almost ready for glueing.
RSCN5296.jpg

RSCN5298.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back