**** DONE: 1/48 Beechcraft UC-43 Staggerwing - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
Username, Meatloaf109
Name, Paul
Catagory, Intermediate
Scale, 1/48
Manufacturer, Roden
Model type, Beechcraft UC-43
Aftermarket, Stretch a little sprue, strip a little speaker wire,...

First flown in 1932, the Beechcraft Staggerwing was known as the "Cadillac of the sky" mainly because each one was hand finished with mahogany wood, leather seats, and carpeting. When World War 2 started the U.S. government ordered 270 as well as purchasing some 118 from private owners for executive transport. Under the designation UC-43, the Staggerwings hauled around various Generals and Admirals, as well as other V.I.P.'s.
This one will be finished as one of the civilian aircraft pressed into service, so mahogany, leather, and a red carpet is the name of the game.

stag1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Air Corps plane with red carptening.... Werry werry interesting....

Not at all unusual for aircraft set aside for VIP transport. We had a PB-1 (B-17) used only for VIP transport, when I was with VC-62. Not only red carpet but very plush chairs, tables for six and a wet bar !

Charles

I love cockpits and landing gear, the two of them have always defined an aircraft for me. Because my first love is military aircraft, I am usually confined to drab colors with the occasional splashes of color. Not so with this one. This is a Beechcraft Staggerwing. Known for luxuary and style, they sold for $14,000.00 to $17,000.00 before the war. The U.S. Government appropriated some 118 of these aircraft as well as ordering 270 for transport of their high officials, Generals and Admirals. The appropriated civilian examples retained the high quality interiors of an earlier age, cordovan leather seats, mahogany wood instrument panel, and thick carpeting, and were therefore highly prized. This one was a liaison and V.I.P. transport attatched to the 8th A.F. in 1943.
Note the carpeting.

stag2.jpg

stag3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back