**** DONE: 1/48 Bell YP-59 Aircomet - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming along great Glenn. You can't imagine how many times I've had this kit in my hands but got scared off after the A-4 adventure. Going to P.G. tomorrow and the kit may be coming back with me. How are the kit decals and have you figured out which aircraft the 1/72 ones are for? Hobbycraft seem to add extras and its up to the builder to figure out what they are for.

Geo

The 5th and 6th string from a guitar make very good oxygen hose in various scales...is that what you used mate?
No Darryl, It's made up by taking a very fine copper wire and wrapping it around another small but slightly larger copper wire. Easier to bend to shape that way. I thought about using guitar string, it would probably look better with more regular wrapping, but I didn't have any cut off around.

Coming along great Glenn. You can't imagine how many times I've had this kit in my hands but got scared off after the A-4 adventure. Going to P.G. tomorrow and the kit may be coming back with me. How are the kit decals and have you figured out which aircraft the 1/72 ones are for? Hobbycraft seem to add extras and its up to the builder to figure out what they are for.

Geo
The decals look good George, but I'll probably use after marker stars and bars with the red surround. One review I read said they were a big improvement over the decals in earlier Hobby Craft kits. The only thing that looks like it might be 1/72nd on the sheet is the two P1940 serials, and they look like RAF so they'll go in the spair decal bag anyway. It is a nice kit, although not perfect. The dihedral will have to be fixed but that shouldn't be too bad, and the cockpit comes pretty empty. The separate tail fit on beautifully, but I did it differently than the plans said to do it and joined the tail halves to the fuselage halves before closing it all up. That went beautifully too by the way, and the only filler I think I will need is at the root of the tail fin, and that's my own fault for putting a gouge in it. I'd say this is defiantly one of Hobby Crafts best.

Thanks Glenn. Did some checking and the 1/72 markings and serial numbers appear to be for an Airspeed Oxford and I think it was based in Malta. And for sure, if the kit is still in P.G., it's coming home. I wouldn't mind trying some of the extreme weathering in one of your photos.

Geo

Good stuff Glenn. From the look of the parts, and your description, there's a good chance this kit has been moulded for Hobbycraft by Academy. Have a look at the box top - it'll probably have made in Korea printed in small type somewhere.

Made in China Terry

Fixed a few short comings in this kit.

First: Upper outside corner of the jets intakes was all wrong.
Picture 1 The prototype hanging in the Smithsonian.
Picture 2 The kits unmodified left intake
Picture 3 The right intake after multiple applications of thick CA and kicker to build it up, then file and sanded it to shape.
2005-24512h.jpg
P3089465.JPG
P3089466.JPG

Second: The intake splinters were too thick and flat instead of curved to follow the curve of the fuselage.
Picture 4 Before
Picture 4 After filing the curve in
Picture 6 & 7 Finished intakes showing test fitted splitters
P3089463.JPG
P3089464.JPG
P3089469.JPG
P3089470.JPG

Third: Dihedral
Picture 8 As mentioned yesterday there was no dihedral in the wings. I filed a little less that 1/16" of each top wing where it meets the fuselage by following a taped line and it worked out pretty good.
P3089467.JPG

Last edited:
Ah, China - still not the usual HC moulds then. Good work on those intakes mate, really makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back