**** DONE: 1/48 CAC CA-13 Boomerang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Special Hobby
Model Type: Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation CA-13 Boomerang A46-194 "The Grim Reaper"
Details: 4 Squadron
Aircraft Assignment: Pilot: F/L Val Walliker
Decals: Special Hobby
Accessories: Montex Canopy Mask

Attachments

• ventura 7 grim reaper 800.jpg
    ventura 7 grim reaper 800.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 724
  • a46-194 grim reaper 4 squadron 800.jpg
    a46-194 grim reaper 4 squadron 800.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 818
  • Special Hobby 800.jpg
    Special Hobby 800.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 492
  • Special Hobby  3 800.jpg
    Special Hobby 3 800.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Wonderful Peter! I just won the LTD kit on eBay.

oh-the-horror-1.gif

Seriously? :D

I have two of the LTD's in my stash, but they will take a serious amount of effort to turn out right. Chances are you will need to redo the canopy too, as they have a tendency to yellow with age. I'm investigating if a vac form canopy made for the Special Hobby will fit the LTD. I'll let you know....8)

Cheers

Peter

View attachment 244603

Seriously? :D

I have two of the LTD's in my stash, but they will take a serious amount of effort to turn out right. Chances are you will need to redo the canopy too, as they have a tendency to yellow with age. I'm investigating if a vac form canopy made for the Special Hobby will fit the LTD. I'll let you know....8)

Cheers

Peter
Now you're starting to worry me.. George has the kit and he said it isn't a total basket case. I don't mind if it's rough, as long as it isn't totally unbuildable. Sometimes I like a little challenge like the old Smer kits.

Now you're starting to worry me.. George has the kit and he said it isn't a total basket case. I don't mind if it's rough, as long as it isn't totally unbuildable. Sometimes I like a little challenge like the old Smer kits.

It is buildable, but is a challenge. Half the battle is the tough plastic LTD used, along with lots of flash and crude sprue joints. Lots of sanding. Surface details are good. Interior very simple. If you can spend the time applying "neatness" and interior detail you will end up with a good Boomer.

I'll be doing one of these LTD's soon after finishing this one - perhaps "Home James" or a custom job of something not done before.

You almost certainly need to replace the canopy. That's been my sticking point with this kit.

Cheers

Peter

Peter could you post a few shots of the kit? You don't need to do it here but you may post them in the Model Kit Reviews section.

Here's a couple of shots of the fuselage (with SH to compare) and sprues for the LTD kit to start. Dimensionally they are near on equal, with the SH having a larger cockpit opening. The SH comes with a clear injected canopy, but aftermarket vac canopies are available - a quick look suggests they will not fit the LTD in the closed position, but maybe okay if you want an open cockpit.

Sprues are molded a bit heavy handed. Includes standard and bulged tyres. Engine is simplified. Landing gear doors are flat (but not so on real a/c). Panel line details are good and restrained.

LTD - for experienced modelers. That's their slogan, not mine! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• SH vs LTD sprues 002 - resized.jpg
    SH vs LTD sprues 002 - resized.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 238
  • SH vs LTD Fuse 001 - resized.jpg
    SH vs LTD Fuse 001 - resized.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 267
  • SH vs LTD Fuse 002 - resized.jpg
    SH vs LTD Fuse 002 - resized.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 388
  • SH vs LTD sprues 001 - resized.jpg
    SH vs LTD sprues 001 - resized.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Anyways - on with the build.

Pic 1
I thought I would start on the canopy and get that out the way first. The SH transparencies are good for a short run kit. Very thin, reasonably clear, but brittle plastic. My first step is to dip in "Future" to make them shinier and give them some protection.

"Future" substitute here in Australia is "Pledge". Don't ask me why or where to get it. I bought this bottle several years ago and it's still going.

Pic 2
Yes, an injury was sustained on removing the front windscreen. Damn it! I'll need to fill that before installation.

Pic 3
I dipped everything clear and placed them on an absorbent towel to wick away the excess Pledge.

Pic 4
I've not used these masks before. I usually use Eduard, so I'll see how these go. Montex supply both internal and external masks, so it should be an improvement when displaying the cockpit in the open position.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• canopy 004 - resized.jpg
    canopy 004 - resized.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 239
  • canopy 005 - resized.jpg
    canopy 005 - resized.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 235
  • canopy 001 - resized.jpg
    canopy 001 - resized.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 246
  • canopy 003 - resized.jpg
    canopy 003 - resized.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 196
Here's a couple of shots of the fuselage (with SH to compare) and sprues for the LTD kit to start. Dimensionally they are near on equal, with the SH having a larger cockpit opening. The SH comes with a clear injected canopy, but aftermarket vac canopies are available - a quick look suggests they will not fit the LTD in the closed position, but maybe okay if you want an open cockpit.

Sprues are molded a bit heavy handed. Includes standard and bulged tyres. Engine is simplified. Landing gear doors are flat (but not so on real a/c). Panel line details are good and restrained.

LTD - for experienced modelers. That's their slogan, not mine! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Peter

Yep, I can remember weeping softly to myself when I opened that LTD box. Looking forward to the build.

Geo

Pete, is that new book by Franks any good?

Yes. It's a very detailed look at the aircraft with many period photos, current restoration photos and manual excerpts.

I would rate it the best reference on the Boomerang available. Price is very reasonable too.

Here's a couple of pages:

Attachments

• boomerang franks 001.jpg
    boomerang franks 001.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 351
  • boomerang franks 002.jpg
    boomerang franks 002.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 294
  • boomerang franks 003.jpg
    boomerang franks 003.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 235
Last edited: