**** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5P VF-88 Yorktown - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: F6F-5P
Kit: 1/48 Eduard ProfiPACK F6F-5 Late

Another CV-10 Yorktown addition.

***added Eduard Brassin rockets... resin bombs from my spares bin.

Extras? This will be mainly OOB, yeah right, except for some scratch building. I'm going to try to fold the wings, NOT cabinet space is limited just like a hangar bay. I will have to add the hole for the camera, and perhaps scratch a camera to put outside the A/C with a Photographers Mate working under the camera hatch. Detailing on the engine, and whatever I can come up with for the cockpit.

This will be modeled as a VF-88 F6F-5P conversion during October 1945, Operation DOWNFALL. This was the first phase of Olympic/Majestic Fast Carrier operations. During this period, TF38 would conduct softening up airstrikes on the Japanese coastline from early July to around mid-August. This phase was under way when the war ended.

CTG 38.4 – Rear Admiral A. W. Radford (COMCARDIV 6)
CV-10 Yorktown – Captain W. F. Boone
Carrier Air Group 88 (CVG-88)
VF-88 (24 x F6F-5, 6 x F6F-5P, 6 x F6F-5N)
VBF-88 (37 x FG-1D)
VB-88 (11 x SB2C-4E, 4 x SB2C-4)
VT-88 (14 x TBM-3, 1 x TBM-3E)

I sailor on.

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 1a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 228
  • GB17 F6F-5P 1b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1b.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 239
  • GB17 F6F-5P 1c.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1c.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 229
  • GB17 F6F-5P 1d.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1d.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 239
  • GB17 F6F-5P 1e.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1e.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 225
  • GB17 F6F-5P 1f.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 1f.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 280
  • Bikini_F6F-5P.jpg
    Bikini_F6F-5P.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 262
  • F6F5P.jpg
    F6F5P.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited by a moderator:
Outstanding! Looking forward to what you do with this one. Particularly the figure painting. AFAIK, I'm the only one that has included figures in the builds, at least from GB#13 forward. (F-80, P-51, and my 3rd place award winning F-8, cough, cough.) Anyways, figure painting has been a thing of mine for years now. If you want any 'elp I'm here.

After 28 July 45 - - - that makes the ID code easy, a simple "RR". VF-88 was commanded by Dick Crommelin up until 14 July 45 when he was lost in a mid-air collision near Hokkaido. Chris Cagle, the XO took over and Johnny Adams moved up to XO. Cagle, USNA '41, was only a lieutenant at the time, so one wonders, had things dragged out, if he would have retained command. My guess would be yes, Cagle was recognized as a pretty good operator. Crommelin was one of my father's USNA classmates ('38) and they shared a cabin when in VF-42 on Yorktown (CV-5). Adams, another VF-42 veteran, was my father's wingman at Midway.

Attachments:

VF-88 F6F-5 August 1945
VF-88F6F-5_zps9f085fa5.jpg

Dick Crommelin after Midway
CrommelinRichard.jpg

Johnny Adams around the time he was in VF-88
JPAdams.jpg

Message from Yorktown (CV-10) to ComTF38 on Shangri La (CV-38) reporting Crommelin's loss
RGCloss1.jpg

Apropos of nothing else, the other two gents named in the message . . . from VB-85 . . . Folks on Shangri La already knew they were missing, VB-85 was a Shangri La squadron. Seems there was a mountain inside the cloud. The pilot, Eggleston, was killed in the crash. The rear gunner, Rasmussen, was only banged up. He evaded capture for the rest of the war, and longer, by raiding small farmsteads. He finally turned himself in around the end of September 45 when he saw USN forces in a small harbor and figured it was safe to come out of the hills.

Rich

Thanks for that Rich. I have that same photo. My CV-5/10 lists of operating squadrons during their lifetimes has the RR on all aircraft at the end of the war. As the little excerpt above, VF-88 was the only one listing the 5P as operational.

I am having difficulty in finding an aircraft number for a 5P, and haven't a clue where to start looking. Any chance you know of lists of A/C numbers in VF-88 and what serial number any 5P might have had??????

Cheers,
Bill

Outstanding! Looking forward to what you do with this one. Particularly the figure painting. AFAIK, I'm the only one that has included figures in the builds, at least from GB#13 forward. (F-80, P-51, and my 3rd place award winning F-8, cough, cough.) Anyways, figure painting has been a thing of mine for years now. If you want any 'elp I'm here.

I may just send them to YOU to paint for me!!!!!!!!
Better not send me your address!
wink wink.

Thanks for that Charles. Posted then did some editing and tried to change title, and booboo is my uncle.

Finally found some details in a cutaway I was looking for. Now I can do some scratching in the tail.

Taking a creative break from the F2b, cogitating about the stringing actually and have a plan.

So to get this going and doing some scratching I probably would not do if all else was done, I'm tackling the round engine. I will plumb it next.

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 2a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 2a.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 204
  • GB17 F6F-5P 2b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 2b.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 201
Thanks fellas. Just can't help myself. Comes from working in engineering and fabrication I guess.

I'm looking for a photo of the tail end of this thing, where the tailhook hides. How it looks when it's parked.

Here's the new improved tail wheel. It just looked a little dorkey to me....... and the 49ers are not looking too good at the moment, twenty something to 6 and the lights are out in half the stadium.

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 3a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 3a.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 185
  • GB17 F6F-5P 3b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 3b.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 181

Users who are viewing this thread

Back