**** DONE: 1/48 Fw190 D-9 white 12 Jg301 - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
here's what i hope is my first entry into GB#13

subject Fw190 D-9 white 12 Jg301
Name: Karl
Category: intermediate
Kit: Eduard
Scale:1/48
Accessories: kit supplied PE set

dora.jpg
dora1.jpg

my first question is.

any thoughts to the colour of the fuselage sides would have been ?
the instructions say RLM76 but the box art suggests the primer type colour similar to RAF sky, sometimes called RLM84 or 99 i think.

your thoughts please

Last edited by a moderator:
my first question is.

any thoughts to the colour of the fuselage sides would have been ?
the instructions say RLM76 but the box art suggests the primer type colour similar to RAF sky, sometimes called RLM84 or 99 i think.

your thoughts please

It is quite difficult to say if it was the standard RLM76 or its non standard variants. The box art colours always are a matter of a kind of printing and shouldn't be taken into consideration. Unfortunately these aircraft of the 500000-series show some variance in camouflage schemes, likely reflecting their manufacturing process of assembling various components built by widely dispersed co-operating manufacturers.

Please have a look at this...

P-51A Artwork by Jerry Boucher
Plastic Pics - HyperScale's Picture Posting Forum: Eduard 1/48 Fw 190 d9

It is quite difficult to say if it was the standard RLM76 or its non standard variants. The box art colours always are a matter of a kind of printing and shouldn't be taken into consideration. Unfortunately these aircraft of the 500000-series show some variance in camouflage schemes, likely reflecting their manufacturing process of assembling various components built by widely dispersed co-operating manufacturers.

Please have a look at this...

P-51A Artwork by Jerry Boucher
Plastic Pics - HyperScale's Picture Posting Forum: Eduard 1/48 Fw 190 d9
Aha, thank you my friend i have been looking for that model build to use as an example but for some reason could not find it this morning !
i know the box art might not be the best guide but if you look the artist has gone to the trouble to use a definate change in colour between the fuselage and the rudder !!!

and the model maker in the link you provided has used a colour a little like the sky colour i was talking about !

i know the box art might not be the best guide but if you look the artist has gone to the trouble to use a definate change in colour between the fuselage and the rudder !!!

and the model maker in the link you provided has used a colour a little like the sky colour i was talking about !

I see Karl. Undoubtedly the kind of painting can be noticed in pictures of late war Fw190s. The problem is that all main parts of planes were made by manufacturers working often somewhere in sheds. They fabricated these entire sections including their painting etc... As a result one could have painted them with what he had. Of course they tried to follow RLM rules but it might have been the same situation when the RAF introduced Ocean Grey on tops and sides. The order was issued but there wasn't the paint in squadrons. So the maintenance teams mixed other paints in order to get the proper one. As a result a few different tonalities of the one appeared. Look at the A-8 of JG301. Her tail seems to be of lighter tonality than the rest of the kite.

Rote9-01.jpg

Also I have found this one... it seems to be the White12. But I'm not sure as the image is of very poor quality.... pic source the Internet.

fw190d_ii_jg301_399_150_95.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back