**** DONE: 1/48 Gloster Gladiator I - From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Roden Kit 408

Extras: Eduard 48428 PE detail set. Not sure about anything else but you never know what could popup. Naturally the all important rigging and some homemade decals to go with the squadron theme.

As I'm also doing the Gloster Gauntlet, I thought it would be a good idea to also chip in with this one as they are almost identical and this Gladiator did replace the Gauntlet.

Again I'm doing this model serial number K7994 or K8030 for my 56 Squadron flight line, these particular aircraft replaced the Gloster Gauntlet and served with the squadron between July 1937 and May 1938 which again was a relatively short period, but war was looming in Europe and the RAF was hastily re-equipping there fighter squadrons with the Hawker Hurricane. This particular build will replace an earlier construction that looking somewhat worn and primitive, particularly the decal which were at the time made from white paper and are now quite faded.

20121125-1a.jpg

20121125-1b.jpg

20121125-1c.jpg

20121125-1d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Tuck slashed his cheek open on a rigging wire, and kept the scar for life.
A glutton for punishment, eh Vic?!
I'll be watching this, for fit or other problems, as I have the same kit for my 56 Sqn collection. (had thought of entering it, but too much on at the moment).

Thanks Guys and yes more rigging, but you know what they say 'in for a penny, in for a pound.' I should be able to make a start on this tomorrow alongside the Gauntlet, so instrument panel first.

Having given the kit an initial look over, I'm quite impressed with the detail and panel lines but from what I have read, I do believe there are some fit problems. I may also try another form of rigging anchor on this one.

I was reading up on the Gladiator last night Terry and found that 56 only considered these machines as an interim replacement and consequently didn't deck them out with any red or white check and only added the squadron badge within the favoured tail fin arrow most fighter squadrons were sporting.

Ah, that's interesting info Vic, thanks. Could make life easier, as I was going to make some red/white check decals. I have a profile, and at least one pic, showing the checks, but omitting them will make things simpler!

Thanks again folks. Maybe I'll post to the right thread this time!!!!!

Today I made a start on the instrument panel which for this kit has been moulded from clear plastic which is a bit of a novelty.

20121128-1a.jpg

For those of you with this kit in the stash, please note:
The decals for the panel are printed back to front, this is so they can be applied to the back of the panel.

Gladiator Panel Decal.jpg

The accompanying construction instructions also have a miss having got the port and starboard decal numbers ar$e about face.

20121128-1d.jpg

Though I have an alternative panel to play with, I thought I would should have a go with this clear kit one. Having cleaned some annoying bits of flash from the panel, I added a couple of PE switches and other bits before dabbing Maskol to the dials for protection. A couple coats of paint were then applied. Once dry the Maskol was removed.

20121128-1b.jpg

20121128-1c.jpg

While removing the panel from the clear sprue, I noticed a little scratch on the rear canopy. It was not to bad but did look to be quite a deep mark. I decided to get shot of it but sorry, I forgot to take a pic of it before starting the removal process. This first pic shows the area after the initial file rubbing.

20121128-1e.jpg

Using my worthy 'Q' tip sanding sticks,

20121128-1g.jpg

the scratch was removed and after a final polish with some liquid car polish this is what I ended up with.

20121128-1f.jpg

Nice Vic! Haven't seen glass instrument panels since the 1:32 Matchbox Bf 109E and Hasegawa Spifire Mk.V.

Good stuff Vic. That's the MkII panel I believe - if you need it, I have a very good colour shot of the MkII cockpit, the panel of which, and some detail areas, differ from the MkI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back