**** DONE: 1/48 Gloster Meteor F.3 - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Vic. A quick question on the wing lights. Once you've glued them onto the tips, how do you get the final shape...file, sanding, or something more sinister?

Geo

Thanks guys.

Very nice Vic. A quick question on the wing lights. Once you've glued them onto the tips, how do you get the final shape...file, sanding, or something more sinister?
Geo

Geo, as it so happens I was taking pics of the process of making the navigation lights.

To cut back the surplus plastic I use my Dremel as seen in the picture. This can also be done with a file but it takes a lot longer.

20130222-1a.jpg

Having cut back close to the wingtip, I mask the area to try and protect it and then using a small watchmakers file, slowly and carefully cut back the remaining lens plastic, filing to shape.

20130222-1b.jpg

The next step is to cut and shape the lens as close to the wingtip as possible while at the same time starting the polishing. For this I have a two sided nail polishing stick, any good pharmacy will have them in the lady's make-up area. This is used with all four grades to bring a nice shine to the lens. I also at this time may remove the protective mask to try and get a closer cut. Any paint scraped off can easily be touched up.

20130222-1c.jpg

These are the two files I use the tip one being both sides shown. And the finished result which being magnified by camera, shows a little more work required.

20130222-1d.jpg

20130222-1e.jpg

20130222-1f.jpg

Great stuff Vic. Personally, I would do that before the paint goes on but looks like it turned out well.

EDIT: Overlapped posts with Paul. Old toothbrushes are one source.

I'm calling this one done, not my best work. I think the fact that it all went together so well and so quick has left me feeling that I've missed something somewhere. However, it is done and once pictures taken, it will fill a little gap in my 56 Squadron 1916-2008 flight line.

20130222-2b.jpg

20130222-2a.jpg

20130222-2c.jpg

Nice one Vic.
If coloured, transparent plastic is unavailable, then lamps can be made the same way with scraps of clear sprue, then coated in clear coloured paint, enamel or acrylic, or even 'home made', using the required colour mixed with clear gloss varnish. Check first, of course, if the 'resl thing' had coloured lenses, or clear lenses with coloured bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back