**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry (or 'Hey you!)
Category: Judge - non competing.
Kit: Revell (AG) Harrier GR7/9.
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: None, apart from minor scratch-building, and altered decals.

OK, I don't have a favourite aircraft, but this is an excuse to build another Harrier for my mate (see previous Harrier GR3 Build), as I've been promising him for well over a year!
This is the rather nice Revell (ex-Hasegawa) kit which, fortunately, I managed to obtain on Special Offer from Model Zone at £9.99, or approximately $15 US - a heck of a saving over the normal price, and more so over the original Hasegawa price.
Whether I get this finished, before I may have to move house, I don't know, but I should be able to do it, I think.
The model will be finished in the final colour scheme, adopted in late 2009, before our current Government decided to 'save money' (ie, keep themselves in comfort) in the Defence Cuts a few months later, with the complete Harrier force being retired in December 2010 !!!
Having already amalgamated the RAF Squadrons and Royal Navy units into basically the equivalent of three Squadrons, known as the Joint Harrier Force, the dimbledicks decided to pull them out of Afghanistan, and the UK and other operational areas, and scrap them - some fairly new aircraft!!
Anyway, just a pic of the box art for now, (which was the previous colour scheme), which my model will not be finished in, as it will be in overall Medium Sea Grey, with low vis markings for 4 Squadron, not 41 Sqn as depicted.
More when I get started.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 002.jpg
    New Harrier build 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 371
Last edited by a moderator:
'Hey You'.....what's the big idea about not having a favourite Aircraft in the favourtie Aircraft GB???

Gonna have to keep an eye on this potential trouble maker...:lol:

My little old tired peepers lit up when I saw the 41 sqn French Cross on the tail....................but that's no problem "Hay you" (嘿,你), I'll settle for a 4 sqn substitute.

BTW. Did one of these long time back, great kit.

I like Harriers and these should have been bought for the PAF instedad of F-16s. A very good choice Terry. :)

Very nice choice Terry! I wasn't even aware this kit was out there. You may not have a favorite aircraft but if we had a "Least Favorite GB" I'll bet you could come up with an entry.

Nice! Indeed a helluva saving over the Hasegawa kit which likely costs you an arm and a leg. Wasn't there some kind of last fly-by of the Harriers in which the pilots raised their middle finger to their well beloved government. (as a figure of speech) by means of flying in a certain formation forming certain words

Thanks guys, and yes Jelmer, there was a famous photograph of a formation fly past of the Houses of Parliament !
I was going to do a Hunter or Spitfire, which are among my favourites, but wanted to get this one 'out of the way'.

Thanks guys. I've made a start, with the first stage being the cockpit. the kit parts are a reasonably good representation of the GR9's somewhat bland 'glass' cockpit, with the instrument panel being dominated by the systems computer and the twin MFDs. Decals are provide for the instrument panel and side consoles, although they're not totally accurate for this Mark, so I decided to paint the details instead.
PIC 1 Shows the two-part instrument panel assembled, and the main painting done. There are still some details to complete, and then glaze the few instruments and the twin Multi Function Display screens, which have been given a varying shade to represent 'depth' and reflection. Fortunately I found some good colour pics on the 'net to aid in this.
PIC 2. The cockpit tub painted, and again with the switches picked out, although still some work to do. The control column and thrust lever have been added and await detail painting, and a 'dirty' wash applied to the floor. the bare area on the rear wall is where the ejection seat will go.
PIC 3. Next step will be to detail the ejection seat. The kit parts have been assembled loosely, with the exception of the firing handle, and they provide a reasonable representation of the Martin-Baker MB12H seat,although again not 100% accurate. The 'lever' on the side will be removed, the head / parachute box enlarged, improved and detailed, and seat detail and harness added.
Thanks for your interest so far, and I hope to post some more progress shots by the weekend.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 006.jpg
    New Harrier build 006.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 160
  • New Harrier build 010.jpg
    New Harrier build 010.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 174
  • New Harrier build 013.jpg
    New Harrier build 013.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back