**** DONE: 1/48 Jaguar GR3A - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Airfix – SEPECAT Jaguar GR3a
Model Type: Royal Air Force 41 Squadron aircraft XZ103 "FP" based at RAF Colteshall in April 2006 "End of an Era" scheme.

Extras: NOT OTB. On this occasion I have decided to ramp up the kit building a bit. Yes, again folks we have a smorgasbord of extras to delight the inner frustrations. Eduard PE, Paragon and Pauls resin bits and some lovely Model Alliance decals all washed down with a nice reference book from Warplanes Classic.

This is my main enter into GB 13 which depending on time and how well this kit comes together, may also be accompanied with another more classic aircraft of the jet era. We will see.

120205-1A.jpg

120205-1C.jpg

120205-1B.jpg

120205-1D.jpg

I know I'm stepping outside the WWII framework with this one but it is one of my numerous favourites which I just happen to have on the shelf for a rainy day. Well it's been pi$$ing down with rain for the late day or so. The kit is typical of the Airfix of a decade or more ago, lots of flesh to be trimmed, mould ejection to be filled

I had the good fortune to be working out or Warton Aerodrome with the then British Aircraft Corporation in the mid 1970s when they were feverishly building this lovely little beast. Later in life when working in Oman for the Royal Omani Air Force in Thumrait we had a squadron of these fellows operating alongside the older but true and trusted Hawker Hunters.

My choice of 41 Squadron is also somewhat nostalgic as this was one of the first squadrons I had association with during my RAF career. At that time they were flying the Gloster Javelin F.W. 8s, they were also the poorer squadron of the base as there co-squadrons, 56 and 111 had just been kitted out with the magnificent English Electric Lightning' F 1a's. It is interesting to note that my chosen livery was recording the end of the squadrons involvement with the Jaguar, it was also the 90th anniversary of the squadron and coinciding with the retirement of the Jaguar, the squadron took on yet another role of Fast Jet and Weapons Operational Evaluation flying the Harrier. This move saved the squadron from a planned disbandment. Today the squadron is 41(R) TES (test and Evaluation Squadron) operating out of RAF Coningsby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one Vic but "lots of flesh to be trimmed, mould ejection to be filled " is this flesh off your fingers because thier is so much "flash"??

I know I'm stepping outside the WWII framework with this one but it is one of my numerous favourites which I just happen to have on the shelf for a rainy day. Well it's been pi$$ing down with rain for the late day or so. The kit is typical of the Airfix of a decade or more ago, lots of flesh to be trimmed, mould ejection to be filled

We have had quite a bit of the liquid stuff as well, though not as bad as the poor devils further north still.

Intersting history and information. I am looking forward to this build, moslty because I know it will be a stunning model vic, and also because I have never had much to do with the jaguar, though it is from my era.

Thanks guys, made a little start last night cleaning up the flash (I'll get the spelling right this time Kevin!
happy0099.gif
) while waiting for paint to dry on my MB339.

Sweet Vic, what is the kit like?

Here you go Wayne and for anybody else interested. The ejection mould marks I mentioned are more like small sink holes on the external surfaces as shown in a couple of the pics. As for the kit, taking a closer look and I have to say that maybe I was a bit harsh as it is not all that bad. I'll have to put it down to having just built or examined a couple of other kits that are extremely good in detail.

120206-1A.jpg

120206-1B.jpg

120206-1C.jpg

120206-1D.jpg

120206-1E.jpg

Last edited:
Build yourself up a stockpile from other kits, including white, clear and whatever other colour you get with kits. The red or yellow from Matchbox kits are also good for making little leaver knobs for the cockpit detail.

Thanks guys, made a little start last night cleaning up the flash (I'll get the spelling right this time Kevin! ) Got to have fun while you can Vic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back