**** DONE: 1/48 Ki-45 Toryu Kai Tei - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Decals on way John

Thank you sir! I also sniped a used set of the AeroMaster Empire Defenders decal sheet that has the 53rd Sentai tail markings. I am looking to avoid the kit decals as much as possible since all of the instrument panel decals of that sheet I've used have cracked.

Sounds like a plan mate !

I just got the decal sheet... fast shipping! I was planning on using a compass cutter to cut masks for the hinomarus but the decal set has a full set of unused hinomarus. I guess I have the option now.

Attachments

• willow 004 (900 x 675).jpg
    willow 004 (900 x 675).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 71
Excellent result on the hinomarus Kevin! Mine are even simpler since they are on white ID bands. Did you use some sort of compass cutter or the swivel blade? I ordered a tool for this...

OL44252~OLFA-Deluxe-Compass-Cutter-With-Ratchet-System_DTL1_P3.jpg

I'll report back when I get it!

A compass cutter.I used extra tape for the center on the table as an anchor so it would not slide.

Working on the Toryu is proceeding at a steady rate. During the work week, I usually spend a couple of hours in the workshop after dinner with the family. The nights are chilly now and I'm having to put on the portable heater to keep me comfortable in the converted garage where I do my modeling.

Most of the work in the past couple of days has been on the engine nacelles and landing gear. The nacelles are molded separately from the wings and there is some wheel well detail molded in the nacelle sidewalls and wing bottom. As always, lots of time spent on cleaning up joints. I did some minor putty work after this to address the little imperfections seen in the 2nd photo below.
IMG_9979_zpsz6wjwp8a.jpg

IMG_9980_zpsghedtkag.jpg

Here are the landing gear components cut from the sprue. Lots of trimming and sanding before I can paint these parts.
IMG_9983_zpscrdey5mo.jpg

The oleo linkages were drilled out using a micro drill.
IMG_9985_zpsmbswvi9a.jpg

I added a baffle cut from a aluminum soda can to the oil cooler intakes based on archive pictures.
IMG_9986_zpsduxxojqx.jpg

The wheel well surfaces are painted using the interior color, which is a mixture of Tamiya Khaki and Red Brown.
IMG_9990_zpsnhmlgmac.jpg

Just a peak at the fuselage to show how the instrument panel fit under the coaming. I will adding the gun sight to the little notched opening above the IP. Note that one of the oblique gun barrels is missing... these keep getting knocked off during the sanding process.
IMG_9987_zpswpcritxr.jpg

The sanding process on the fuselage was finished up by restoring panel lines on the bottom. I've shot the bottom with some Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner to check my work.
IMG_9993_zpsexvdxuwi.jpg

The Toryu nose has been cleaned up and is now ready to be joined to the fuselage. The joint is on a panel line so I'll use Milliput to fill in the small gaps, do some minor sanding and then shoot to the joint with primer so see what it looks like.
IMG_9997_zpsmyb1sqpe.jpg

IMG_9998_zps1xm1qosx.jpg

Here's where we stand on the assembly line... obviously the next major step will be to attach the wings to the fuselage.
IMG_9999_zpsd24dcrjo.jpg

Looks good John, might have to add one of these to my stash of Japanese subjects.

It seems to be a great kit so far so I'd recommend it. If I had to do it over, I'd skip the CMK interior upgrade and stick with the kit parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back