**** DONE 1/48 Ki 61 Hein 'Tony' Maj T.Kobayashi - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
Username: Nxthanos
First name: Chris
Category: Casual 2 (**)
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Arii (Otaki mold)
Model Type: Kawaski KI 61 Hein
Details: Single seat Fighter/Interceptor
Aircraft Assignment: Major Teruhiko Kobayashi
Accessories: None
Decals: Techmod

One last build for the aces.

kobayashi_bukosho.jpg

Maj. Teruhiko Kobayashi started his career in the JAAF as a light bomber pilot over China. He rose to fame as a CO of the 244 Sentai defending the skies over Tokyo in 1944/45. Kobayashi's final credit is 14 (20?) kills, most of them B-29s, and although formally not a "shinten" pilot, he scored his 6th victory on January 27, 1945, by ramming a Superfortress. For this merit he received the Bukosho Medal of Honour. He flew several different Hien and the very fact that the many markings of his aircraft are well documented is a confirmation of his popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arii kit is an Otaki repop from the late 1970s and holds up pretty well.

Let's see what we have got:
startnsprues.jpg

startnsprues3.jpg

startnsprues1.jpg

startnsprues4.jpg

startnsprues2.jpg

The Major's plane is included in the techmod decals I bought for this kit, and include cammo and canopy masks.
startnsprues5.jpg

startnsprues6.jpg

Been so busy this week I haven't had much of a go yet on this little guy, did gloss cote the decals and have been considering how i will do the camo on an all metal finish.

It seems a good bet the metal will not be shining silver on an active duty fighter nor would it be overly worn on a home defense aircraft, so it will be something in between. I have been thinking i might do the decaling of the lines and meatballs and then do the green as it could be easier that way.

Right now nothing is decided, I did find good shots of the interior of a Tony, it seems its green with a blue instrument panel.

Today's update;

Did the prelim painting, including the pilot and cockpit interior.

day1.jpg

day11.jpg

the interior is green with a panel matalic blue.
day12.jpg

day13.jpg

day14.jpg

Today's update;

I suddenly realized Japanese pilots had green parachute straps, so the lil maj got them added quickly!
day2.jpg

The cockpit, engine a fuslegae are assembled, I did little work inside as i knew the pilot would block the view in there.
day21.jpg

day22.jpg

next the wings were built, and i made an odd mistake and didn't notice one woith was misaligned! I had to pry them apart and do it again, no harm done.
day23.jpg

next the wing is joined to the fuselage, and its a tribute to Otaki's engineers, the wing fit nearly seemlessly, no putty needed at all, a relief!
day24.jpg

day25.jpg

day26.jpg

Off to a nice start, was busy today so got nothing done.

Want to hit it with silver soon.

Nothing much to report, sprayed it with silver today, its drying, pictures when its dry.

Today's update;

Sprayed the plane with rustoleum, a US paint that gives a nice natural metal look. The cockpit was covered as was the tail which will be red.

Camo is next.

silver.jpg

silver1.jpg

silver2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back