**** DONE: 1/48 LaGG 3 Series 11 - Winter War / Eastern War WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
User Name: Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Novice
Kit: ICM Kit# 48093
Scale: 1/48
Accessories:Out of the Box

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to create my post for my second build. I picked up this kit off the clearance table at my local hobby shop for $20.00 and thought it would be a good addition to the group build.

I will be building this aircraft as shown on the box which was a Series 11 LaGG 3 flown by Capt V. Mironov of the 609th IAP, Afrikanda ( Murmansk) during the summer of 1942.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

I know nothing about Capt. Mironov and very little about the LaGG 3 other than it was made of wood and was outclassed by 109s and 190s. It should be a good learning experience. I have never built n ICM kit before so I am curious about how it will go together.

Cheers,

Jeff

Viktor Petrovich Mironov
Born 18November1918
Died 16February 1943
Hero of the Soviet Union
1127 Combat Sorties
25 Aerial combats

Died while flying a LaGG 5.

Cheers,

Jeff

Good addition Jeff. I have not built this particular kit before but almost always do a google search for reviews on the kit which usually results in some good information before you build. Here are a few worth a read:

ICM 1/48 LaGG-3 Series 1-4, by Jonathan Prestidge
ICM 1/48 LaGG-3 series 1-4, by Tom Cleaver
IPMS Kit Review: ICM 1/48 LaGG-3

I can offer this from personal experience: be wary of the decals as those from all ICM kits I've built to date have been extremely stiff and practically useless.

nice one Jeff, have done this one and it go's together very well as i remember !
the only thing i had trouble with is a flat plate that go's into the radiator on the belly i could not work out from the instructions how it fitted so i left it out and you cannot notice anyway !

Andy is correct about the ICM decals, though the ones from this kit worked quite well for me though

This one is coming together very quickly as there are not a whole lot of pieces to put together. The wing fuselage joint was tricky and most assemblies have required some putty work to seal gaps. I managed to drop a jar onto the clear canopy pieces and have broken the main canopy piece in half. Hopefully I will be able to make due and the damage will barely be noticeable but I have my doubts. Oh well.

IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG

I need to clean up some rough edges and clean up some putty bits. Painting will be not to far off so keep checking back.

Cheers,

jeff

Last edited:
Here is how she looks at the end of today. I tried free hand air brushing for a soft demarcation line for the two tone green but I masked the green top / blue bottom.

IMG_0004.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back