**** DONE: 1/48 METEOR F.3 - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: fubar57
Name: George
Category: Advanced
Kit: Tamiya
Accessories: None

meteor F.3 EE311 RCAF.jpg

Pilots, including William H. McKenzie and Everett L. Baudoux, pose with a Gloster Meteor s/n EE311 at Ottawa, October 1945. Not sure if Jack Robert Ritch, the subject of my other 26GB is the third person in the photo but he was also one of the pilots during the trials.

In December 1945, EE311 was dismantled and shipped by rail to Edmonton for trials at the Winter Experimental Establishment (WEE). Baudoux, McKenzie and Ritch accompanied it. Only gradually was there an expansion of the circle of pilots who were checked out on it. Flight Lieutenant D.G.A.T. Cameron was reported as the pilot on April 4, 1946, and five more pilots flew it in May. As in Ottawa, the jet attracted many visitors; its first Edmonton flight was witnessed by local reporters. The WEE diary thereafter mentioned numerous trials, including "flame extinction tests" at various altitudes, when one engine would be shut down, then restarted. In its life at WEE, the aircraft flew 48 hours. EE311 came to an unfortunate end. Late in June 1946, McKenzie was detailed to fly it from Edmonton to Hamilton for an air show in the presence of the minister of National Defence. An improvised external fuel tank was rigged to extend the range, but it failed to work. McKenzie ran out of fuel and ditched in Helen Bay Lake, near Blind River, Ont., in late June 1946. On July 15, the WEE diary noted, "Committee of Adjustment appointed to deal with the effects and affairs of Flight Lieutenant McKenzie." Nevertheless, he had survived and for three weeks camped in the bush. He was finally rescued on July 25 and returned to jet test flying soon after.

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
The parts are basically the same as the F.1 with the addition of the upper and lower of the upper and lower air brakes and different clear parts. I've just read that the shape of the windscreen was influenced by that of the Fw 190.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. If you have a copy of "60 years-- The RCAF and CF Air Command 1924-1984" by Larry Milberry(I don't) it says it was recovered and there's a photo of it sitting on the shore(pg.223). After that, I can't find anything.
I Google Earthed "Helen Bay lake near Blind River, Ont" and came up blank. There is a Blind River, Ont however, pink arrow, Hamilton, yellow arrow.

Untitled.jpg

Geo

EDIT: found another article saying the crash was located at Helenbar Lake and that the aircraft was surprisingly intact when recovered. The article further states that the aircraft was removed by the military but nothing further...a shame!!

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Had me worried, though I was seeing double for a moment, raining Meteor's.

Good on you Geo, go for it mate.

AAAAAANYHOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....found 3 photos of the Meteor(s) that were tested in Canada including one that shows a beat up Meteor in a hangar in '46. http://silverhawkauthor.com/aviation-book-canadian-warbirds-6-jets-and-helicopters_313.html Not sure if it's this bird or not. Assembly commences as with the F.1 so I'm hoping this will go quicker as I know what to look for. The cone on the tail was a better fit. Also, the 3 photos confirm no codes were on the tested aircraft and it doesn't look like the yellow wing ID markings were carried either.

001.JPG

Geo

Thanks Andy. A test fit of the lower wing/fuselage/weight shows room 'o plenty for extra weight ahead of the main wheels. Tamiyas weight, while in itself is an excellent idea, just barely keeps the nose down.

001.JPG
004.JPG

Geo

As Glenn wrote in his F-84 build, I love these clamps...

005.JPG

I'm hoping to have this sucker all buttoned up tonight or tomorrow.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back