**** DONE: 1/48 NA F-6B - Jet/Recon/Transport GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: 1, Advanced
Kit: Accurate Miniatures P-51A Mustang
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: True Details Resin Wheels and some minor modifications to the kit.

My Second entry in this group build is in the reconnaissance category with a photo recon version of the Allison engine Mustang, the North American F-6B used by the 107th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.

The F-6B was a photo recon version of the Allison engined P-51 with an oblique camera placed in the back of the cockpit sighting through a cut out in the left rear quarter window. Only thirty-five F-6B's were made before Mustang production was switched over to the Merlin engine. Twenty-four of these were shipped to England to be used by the 67th Reconnaissance Group, most to be used by the 107th TRS who eventually took over operation of all the Allison powered F-6B's.
107th was based at RAF Middle Wallop, England and flew the first F-6B mission on December 20th 1943 and continued to fly these recon missions in preparation for the D-Day landings. On June 8th 1944 the 107th moved to the continent going from airfield to airfield following the allied advance. Between then and the end of the war they were based at Deux Jumeaux Airfield France, Le Molay Airfield France, Toussus-le-Noble Airport France, Gosselies Airfield Belgium, Chievres Airfield Belgium, Vogelsang Airfield Germany, Limburg Airfield Germany, and Eschwege Airfield Germany where they were stationed at VE Day. During that time 5 of the Allison engine Mustangs were lost in combat, but a few lasted until the final months of the war.

107th.jpg
dday.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be modeling "Little Sir Echo II" piloted by Major Russ Berg thanks to George (fubar57) who rescued me by sending me the decals for my kit which was missing them.

The kit I'm using is a F-6A as opposed to a F-6B. The "A's" were built as RAF Mustang IA's with four 20mm cannon wile the F-6B's were modified P-51A's with the armament of four .50 cal Browning machine guns which were removed, so I'll have to cut off the cannon stubs from the wings and seal the openings.

I've had an interest in these early photo recon Mustangs and the 107th TRS since I read about them in Rodger Freemans "Mustang at War" back when I was in Jr. High. I even attempted to build one using the Monogram P-51B kit and adding a scratch built camera and carb intake, but my scratch building skills weren't much back then. Maybe I'll dust it off and post a pic of it.

F-6B Little Sie Echo.jpg
PA199140.JPG
P3029407.JPG
P3029408.JPG
P3029409.JPG
P3029410.JPG
P3029411.JPG

Last edited:
Made a small start on it last night. Glued the nose halves onto the fuselage, cleaned up the cockpit parts and attached the cockpit sidewall parts.

P3029412.JPG
P3029413.JPG
P3029414.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. Let me know if you need any detail shots - the Squadron Signal 'walk around' covers most of the details differences, including camera mounts etc, so i can pull out what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff Glenn. Let me know if you need any detail shots - the Squadron Signal 'walk around' covers most of the details differences, including camera mounts etc, so i can pull out what you need.
Thanks Terry. I had the Squadron walk around but I can't seem to find it so any interior shots would help when I do the detail painting.

Did the base of chromite green on the interior spaces tonight and also some of the black parts as long as I had the airbrush out.

P3059434.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back