**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
Username: Wildcat
name: Andy
Category: intermediate
Kit: revell P-38J Lightning kit#5479

I'll be building this as the Droop Snoot version with "Bomba-dear" nose art. I haven't finished a model in a couple of years so this will be completely built OOB. My main goal is to actually finish one!! I don't know anything about what squadron/group this aircraft was assigned but decided to make this version because every man and his dog has done Bong's J model "Marge". Anyway I'm aiming for a relatively quick build as my "work bench" is the dining room table and my 3 year old daughter seems to be attracted to the grey plastic :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoops forgot pics! Cockpit is nearly done, I'm not going too hard on the smaller details on this one.

Attachments

• IMG_9936.JPG
    IMG_9936.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_9937.JPG
    IMG_9937.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_9934.JPG
    IMG_9934.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_9935.JPG
    IMG_9935.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 208
Ah, good choice Andy. Bomba-Dear was used by the 485th Fighter Squadron, 370th Fighter Group. This is the same squadron that I did the Squadron Leaders P-38 in the D-Day group build way back, called "Les Vin, Les Femmes, et les Chansons". Should look great when done.

Cheers

Peter

Cheers Andy. Thanks for that info Pete, I do remember that P-38 and I'm sure mine wont come anywhere close to being as good as it was!
Update - I've got the cockpit and radio gear installed and glued both wing halves together. I've also added some of my dodgy Tamiya tape seatbelts :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_9939.JPG
    IMG_9939.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 204
Thanks Wayne, I've been lazy on the model making front. I'm working on the tail booms at the moment, so more updates soon.

Nice work so far Andy, and good to see a 'droop snoot' version. Don't see them too often, and they're one I particularly like.
With that 'clear' nose, you'll have to think about where to put the weight to keep the nose down. The front of the engine cowlings might be an additional option, but you'll need to do a balance test before going to far ahead in construction.

Thanks fro the comments guys. Terry I've put a small sinker in the upper nose compartment and also behind both engine cowlings like you said, seems like it will do the job. I've glued the tail booms together and also done more work on the nose area. Done some small detail like the tyres and props.

Attachments

• IMG_9940.JPG
    IMG_9940.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_9941.JPG
    IMG_9941.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 185
Thanks guys. No work done on it today, as we took the kids to "wet 'n' wild". To say I'm shagged is an understatement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back