**** DONE: 1/48 P-47M - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: P-47M
Aftermarket addons: Aeromaster Decals, Eduard PE (i think), not much else

I've had this kit in the stash for some time and have decided to pull it out and give it a go. Supposed to be pretty nice out of the box so I think I'll go easy on the details. I will be modeling the P-47M-1-RE s/n 4421225 flown by Lt. Philip G. Kuhn of the 63rd FS, 56 FG in 1945.

UN_K.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this picture, hope it helps though a little hard to look at.

All the best
Paul

Attachments

• fireball.jpg
    fireball.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 327
  • fireball 2.jpg
    fireball 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 498
  • fireball 3.jpg
    fireball 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Paul (Micdrow) - thanks for those pics. Had the first one but not the second.

Paul (109) - The colours of the 63rd FS in this period are pretty well documented as being a dark blue with a light blue wave pattern, though the shades are debatable. Here's a faded pic of George Bostick's rig from the same squadron:

P47Bostwick002.jpg

Thanks Andy,

From the book Battle colors Vol II by Robert A Watkins

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 333
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
I've been reading a lot of stuff online about these colors. What a hornets nest. Reminds me of the "Lou IV" controversy awhile back!
Charles McBath, pilot of the "Dottie Dee" had a wooden model that his crew chief made for him that was painted with the actual paint used on the real planes.
Apparently, all that could be said of it is that the Dark blue is dark and the light blue is light.
I am sure that however you go with it, it will be a great model!

Great choice Andy. As for colours used by the 56th FG at this time, it can be a minefield, as blues were used, along with RAF camouflage colours, although this one seems pretty well documented. I'll have a look in my 56th FG book, to see if there's anything to add.

That color scheme could be considered as part of Nose Art!!!!!!!
Three Jugs.......... can't possibly have too many jugs eh?
Does this help for the photo???

Attachments

• fireball 2.jpg
    fireball 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 255
Hmm when can we see some progress shots :D heheehe I can't wait to see the final result with the blue on blue paint will be very cool :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back