**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
Username: Donivanp
Name: Don
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: P-51D
Accessories: Verlinden Update set and AeroMaster decals for "Cripes A' Mighty".
IMG_3660.JPG

With the B-17G Tondalayo being a plane lost to fratricide I though of Maj George Preddy, On Christmas day 1944 while supporting forward movement allied troops, he had already shot down two Bf-109's and was in pursuit of a FW-190 when a USA AA group shot him down and shot up the two P-51's with him, missing the FW-190. Though he was to low to bail out, it would have been feasible to survive his injuries save for the .50 cal damage done by the AA group. At the time of his death he was credited with 26.85 kills, making him the highest scoring Mustang ace.

Some time back AeroMaster put out a "U.S. Top Guns" set of decals and I was able to snag a couple of sets from Raire Plane Detectives. Included int his set (some 27 planes and 24 pilots) are the markings for May Preddy's P-40 "Tarheel" flown out of Darwin in which he got two Japanese kills (49th FG) and "Cripes A' Mighty his P-51D Mustang flown 328FS/352FG, "The Battling Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney". May Preddy was at the time of his death the commander of the the 328FS. Among his stable mates was none other than LtC John Meyers, Commander 352FG. John Meyers would go on to be Gen. Jon C. Meyers CinSAC during the Linebacker and Linebacker II, 1972. The AM set comes with two pages (both sides of information on each pilot and plane.

The Kit is Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D and as this one came from the factory with chrome plating (I wish they would never do that) I have soaked it in brake fluid to strip the chrome. If that is a problem I have another Tamiya P/F-51D to use. I have also ordered the Verlinden P-51D update set.

AM-1.JPG
AM-2.JPG
AM-3.JPG
AM-4.JPG
1170-1.jpg
1170-2.jpg

I love the Tamiya P-51 kit and did not realize they ever put Crome plating on it. Thought that idea went out in the 70s with the Testors kits. One in my stash looks like the same box as yours. I'll have to open it up and have a look

Last edited:
1 love the Tamiya P-51 kit and did not realize they ever put Crome plating on it. Thought that idea went out in the 70s with the Testors kits. One in my stash looks like the same box as yours. I'll have to open it up and have a look

Mine is the same but mine says "Silver Color Plated".

IMG_3660.JPG

Last edited:
The Kit is Tamiya's 1/48 P-51D and as this one came from the factory with chrome plating (I wish they would never do that) I have soaked it in brake fluid to strip the chrome. If that is a problem I have another Tamiya P/F-51D to use.

Must be nice! Chuck a kit in the cauldron of death to see what happens and rely on the fact that you have another kit. Not my way of chucking 35 bucks down the toilet!

Yeah, I have a F-84G they did that to as well in the Thunderbirds kit. I wish they would not do it. This was in a brake fluid bath for a few days and you can still see residue on it.

chrome-1.JPG
chrome-2.JPG
chrome-3.JPG
chrome-4.JPG
IMG_3667.JPG

Must be nice! Chuck a kit in the cauldron of death to see what happens and rely on the fact that you have another kit. Not my way of chucking 35 bucks down the toilet!

Bought it on Ebay and did not notice it till I got it. I have two Tamiya F-51D's and a B and two Hasegawa P-51D's and two Monovell D's and a B as well as some AM's thrown in there for good measure. I like the Mustang but it is not my absolute favorite, That would most likely fall to the Mighty F-4 Phantom II, only have 10 Hasegawa in 1/48, 14 Monovell's, one Testors (ow that stinks) four Academy. I have another 6 in 1/32 scale. believe it or not I sold off my 72 scales.

Ok I would like to modify my build here if all are ok. Though I may used the gun tubs from the Verlinden, I was thinking it gave me more and as I want the blue nose on and don't wan the engine cowls off, I won't be using much from it save the gun tubs if I use them. I have received in the Eduard P-51D cockpit set and True Details cockpit for the Tamiya P-51D/K. I really don't even think I would used that but maybe parts as the Tamiya kit is pretty near perfect by itself. The Eduard kit has a lot to add though so it will be used as I see fit.

Awating your approve to start cutting also I will bee using a fresh kit as this one still needs soaking in brake fluid for a while longer.

edcpt.jpg
edcpt2.jpg
tdcpt.jpg

Yep, OK by me.
If there's a seat included in the accessories, use it - the Tamiya part has the life raft back cushion included, which was not on wartime P-51Ds, as the pilot used a B-4 Type, back-pack parachute, which needed the space of the slightly dished seat back to accommodate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back