**** DONE: 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 – From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username: tigerdriver
First name: Dave
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Academy 1/48 Polikarpov I-16 Type 10

Polikarpov I-16 Type 10 as flown by the Spanish Republicans

I doubt these plucky little planes need much introduction here . They acquitted themselves surprisingly well against the early marques of 109 it confronted but was soon outclassed as its opponents evolved both their equipment and tactics .

I will be doing an OOB using the ( amazingly simple ) Academy 1/48 kit. The plane in question is a type 10 flow by the Fuerza Aereas Republicans in 1938

This scheme is a straightforward green over blue with some surprisingly jaunty ID marks added

The kit has only a couple of dozen bits if you ignore the spares provided for later enclosed cockpit or ski equipped versions, so maybe even I wont be able to mess up lol. Interior detail is minimal but the view is even smaller so I wont worry too much there . I may try and add the lines for the fabled manual wind up undercarriage though.

Main personal objective is to make a tidy craft and practice some painting with my newly acquired airbrush and compressor :)

Thanks for reading, and apologies in advance for the crimes against modelling to follow

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres the box , fairly empty lol

20121204_183521.jpg

Just a fyi, copy and paste the starting thread "info" that you need to post in every new GB entry, from one of the other builds and put in your info. I would post it for you here, but I'm off to class :S

I'm sure you'll do great on the build, we all started some where. :)

Just a quick question, have you decided on the exact bird? I have some info. on the I-16s in Spain, but its more bird specific that I've gathered over the years :D

So things are moving pretty fast

The interior is pretty minimal to say the least, but also pretty much invisible bar the seat once the fuselage is joined . Likewise the engine which is nicely moulded but barely visible through the cowling. So the approriate greys and steels etc were applied and I moved on
20121204_200657.jpg

Splashed some paint and then went ahead and begun the main assembly, will need a little sanding and filler but its not too bad at all

After some filler and sanding I started to think about the main colours .

The kit comes with red decals for the fuse band and wing tips but in the spirit of trying a few new skills every build i thought I would have a go at spraying and masking the colours

20121204_203108.jpg

Very nice, shes coming along quickly :D

Hey, TigerDave! Nice to see you jump in with a cool little plane like this and a great paint scheme too! No laughter here, (except over "marque", You English and your english!) Bill is correct, ask and you will be answered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back