DONE: 1/48 Revell P-61 Black Widow of Maj. Carrol C. "Snuffy" Smith Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maglar

Tech Sergeant
Jan 29, 2009
Florida
Hey guys, will be building this, was pulling for the Catalina [Still working some stuff with Lucky and whatnot with the decal transformation] but this plane kit served in the pacific! :shock:

"Times'A'Wastin", was the plane of Maj. Carrol C. "Snuffy" Smith and his R/O, Lt Philip Porter.Maj. "Snuffy" Smith was the highest ranking American nocturnal ace in World War II with the total of 7 kills. Four of them were achieved in this plane during the course of one night, December 29, 1944, when he shot down two Irvings, one Rufe, and one Frank, expending only 382 rounds!!!

Category 3 -

Off we go!

Attachments

• PICT0767.JPG
    PICT0767.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Yep ... a nice purchase. I have to try the one of Bilek because my P-61 is quite old.

This P61 is old too, I think it was a 70's production, raised detail, flash, you know.. the norm of old kits, flying through the cockpit.. it suggests the instrument panel be zinc chromate, should I spray it that then paint the dials and stuff black and then paint those, a full chromate instrument panel seems weird to me.. opinions?

Well.. This about sums it up, revell wrong again!

Attachments

• p61.jpg
    p61.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 510
Yes, for once I was resourceful! :lol:

But I was checking if the instrument panel was zinc chromate, the instructions said the instrument panel and control column are to be painted in all zinc chromate.. now I dont know that much but that just sounded wrong!

haha! Ive had it for months and knew it was a PTO bird but I really WANTED to do a Catalina but both kits I bought were pre-war and post-war, now I know you guys can do conversions like that but im not so smart at it yet. So while the Catalina thing unrolls I thought I would do something, im already excited about cranking out the 3 oz fishing weights.. :lol:

And the cockpit, basic stuff here..

Attachments

• PICT1003.JPG
    PICT1003.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 400
  • PICT1004.JPG
    PICT1004.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 446
  • PICT1005.JPG
    PICT1005.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 396
  • PICT1006.JPG
    PICT1006.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 422
  • PICT1007.JPG
    PICT1007.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 391
  • PICT1009.JPG
    PICT1009.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 440
Looking good so far Mag. If you can, see if you can do a bit of dry-brushing over the raised detail on the instrument panel; you'll be amazed at the difference.

I did, camera must have had a bad angle.. I also did the gloss varnish brush drop to simulate glass.. If I used my moms real nice camera it might have caught it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back