**** DONE: 1/48 RF-8A Crusader VFP-62 Operation "Blue Moon" 1962

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
G'day all, this is my choice for the 'Cold War' 6th Group Build.

Username: Vic Balshaw
First name: Vic
Category: 2 – Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: F-8E Crusader converted to an RF-8A (F8U-1P) - unarmed photo-reconnaissance version.

Aircraft - RF-8A Crusader No 908-AE. Tail 146889 of VFP-62 - Cuban Crisis 1962 operation "Blue Moon."

Extras: RVHP resin kit 48012 for PR conversion from F-8A to RF-8A (resin), may only use parts of this kit.

Aires F-8E detail set AIR-4108. Contains a cockpit tube, wheel bay, exhaust nozzle, refuller probe, engine duct bay and gun pack. Being a photo-reconnaissance version, the refuller probe and gun pack will not be used as this was removed to accommodate the camera packs.

During the Cuban Missile Crisis, the United States first learned that the Soviet was moving nuclear tipped missiles to Cuba by the U2 photo high altitude reconnaissance plane. To determine the nature of the assumed threat, there was a need to look at closer ground photograph and this is where the RF-8A Crusader's were involved.

The RF-8A was designated the F8U-1P under the pre-joint designation system. The RF-8A differed from the F-8A by having the lower half of the forward fuselage squared off and the gun pack removed to accommodate the cameras (three CAX-12 trimetrogen and two K-17 vertical). A smaller tail fin reduced the aircraft drag and boosting speed (remember the aircraft is now unarmed).

VFP-62 flew low level, unarmed reconnaissance missions over Cuba and provided the photographic evidence that President Kennedy needed to confront and eventually eliminate the threat of a missile build-up. The Crusaders of VFP-62 also flew photo-reconnaissance missions over Soviet ships sailing towards Cuba in order to determine the nature of their cargo and when the Soviet Union withdrew the missiles from Cuba, it was again the RF-8A Crusaders of VFP-62 that monitored the ships progress away from Cuba on their way back to Russia.

Crusader flights over Cuba began on 23 October 1962, under the code name 'Blue Moon'. Operating in pairs the RF-8A's of Naval Reconnaissance Squadron (NRS) VFP-62 flew from Naval Air Station (NAS) Key West to assigned target twice a day and returned to NAS Jacksonville, where the film was offloaded, developed and rushed north to the Pentagon. Four Marine pilots were temporarily assigned to VFP-62 for these missions.

Though unarmed and fired upon, no RF-8A's were lost but during the operation it is believed that one U-2 and an RF-101 Voodoo were shot down.

Picture 1 The profile of a similar F-8A Crusader of VFP-62.

Picture 2. A U-2 reconnaissance photograph of Soviet nuclear missiles in Cuba. Missile transports and tents for fuelling and maintenance are visible.

Picture 3. A United States. Navy P-2 Neptune of VP-18 flying over a Soviet freighter.

Picture 4. Aerial Photograph of Missiles in Cuba at MRBM Launch Site 1 San Cristobal, 23 October 1962.

Picture 5. Aerial Photograph of Missiles in Cuba at MRBM Launch Site 2 Sagua la Grande, 23 October 1962.

Picture 6. An anti-aircraft site east of the San Cristobal MRBM Launch Site 1, 27 October 1962.

Picture 7. This is the only full picture I have been able to find of 908 assumedly landing on USS Independence which I believe usually has a small detachment of RF-8A's on it's deck.

Pics of the kits to follow.

Attachments

• Cuba 1.jpg
    Cuba 1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Cuba 2.jpg
    Cuba 2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Cuba 3.jpg
    Cuba 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 341
  • Cuba 4.jpg
    Cuba 4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Cuba 5.jpg
    Cuba 5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Cuba 7.jpg
    Cuba 7.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Cuba 6.jpg
    Cuba 6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
That was the turning point in the so called Cold War. The Soviet Union was post-Stalinist - and they blinked. :) thanks to clear resolve from the USA.

Great, great choice, Vic :)

MM

great choice vic looking forward to this build.:D

Nice one Vic! Good background info and pics too. I like the photo-recce shots, and wish I had quid for everyone of those type of pics I've studied under stereoscopes!!

Thanks for the interest guy's, from comments it would seem I've hit on a topic of interest.

Following on from yesterday, here are the bits I propose to use. As yet I'm undecided about using the RVHP kit in full, my thinking is that I may be able to cut out the gun pack from the Hasegawa fuselage and replace it with part of the RVHP resin fuselage. At the moment it's just food for thought as I have a couple of other kits to finish before making a start on the Crusader.

Comments, ideas and advise, particularly the later will be most welcome as for me this is going to be a very ambitious project.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Attachments

• 1-1 Crusader.jpg
    1-1 Crusader.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 391
  • 1-2 Crusader.jpg
    1-2 Crusader.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 443
  • 1-3 Crusader.jpg
    1-3 Crusader.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 442
  • 1-4 Crusader.jpg
    1-4 Crusader.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 367
Wish that I had my F8 Crusader in Detail Scale handy now.....and my other books! :(

Attachments

• DS31_F-8.jpg
    DS31_F-8.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 268
Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way.
Two drifters off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.......​

Ooooh....plllleeeaassee somone stop me!

I'll go now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back