**** DONE: 1/48 Seafire F.XVII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

brucejscott

Staff Sergeant
May 8, 2011
Williamsport, Pa
Username - brucejscott
First Name - Bruce
Category - Intermediate
Scale - 1/48
Manufacturer - Airfix
Model Type - Supermarine Seafire F.XVII
Aftermarket Parts - Eduard Seatbelts
Decals - Kit

Ok, I'm in with this truly excellent kit from Airfix. I have to hand it to these guys. They produce a quality product at a very reasonable price. I'm so impressed with the newer stuff I am actually thinking about shelling out for the Sea Vixen, but that is for another day. Anyway, here's the kit...

100_1173_640x480.JPG

the sprues...

100_1175_640x480.JPG

and the color scheme I plan to do.

100_1174_640x480.JPG

Probably won't get much of a start til the weekend, late already and school band concert tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought about doing the wings folded, but read a review saying the joint is awfully fiddly and somewhat weak. Probably end up with the wings down. On another note, I'm throwing this one out for comment. The Airfix instructions call for the cockpit sidewalls to be black on the upper half and "sky" on the lower. I could be wrong, but it just doesn't sound right to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Looking forward to this one Bruce.

Don't know why they quote 'Sky' - they've done that on Karl's MkXII too. The upper section by this date would be matt black, and below the lower frame, roughly the bottom of the seat, would be the original Cockpit Grey Green, not 'Sky'. The black colour was first introduced on the Typhoon/Tempest later production aircraft, and became the 'standard' cockpit colour post war, until the advent of the greys, as still used today.

... and now on to Karl for fifty points. Karl, which is correct for the underwing rockets, aluminum bodies with red warheads or ghost grey bodies with OD warheads?

Without checking, I'd say the latter. The 'normal' colours of the RPs was overall dark green, but the rocket propellant tube (body) colour might have changed post war.

Just did a bunch of research on British rockets as I am putting single rails on my spit IX, light grey bodies with o.d. warheads seems to be the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back