**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXb - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: Fubar57
First Name: George
Category: Intermediate
Model: ICM 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX Kit #48061
Add-ons: Photo-etch belts, Eagles Strike decals #116, some bits and bobs.

This aircraft belongs to F/O Lorne Cameron of 402sqn., March '43. Wartime history here- Lorne Cameron
The aircraft had a good life. Built in Aug. '42 and SOC in Mar. '46 spending all it's life with RCAF squadrons.
The model is almost straight out of the box with the exception of the wings. They have to be modded to a B wing spec which involves removing a cannon stub, filling some panel lines and making others. The plastic is a bit rough in spots but nothing that can't be overcome. Some nice firewall detail which will remain unseen. I'll be checking and re-checking Andy's(Crimea_River) build constantly. Speaking of which, thanks to Andy and Terry(Airframes) for their knowledge about Spitfire wing variants. This will be a slow start as I am finishing the PV-1 as well.

004.JPG

Capture.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Geo, and no doubt you are aware of the areas requiring attention in this kit.
BUT !
Before you start hacking things off and moving stuff around, be aware that there was NO MkIXb Spitfire !
This is a title which was unofficial, but, at the time 'stuck'. The aircraft were actually MkIXc Spitfires, with the standard 'C' wing layout and armament, which can be built straight from the kit.
The 'B' title came about as the MkIX was the first operational cannon-armed Spit after the MkV, which originally had the 'B' wing, itself basically a modified 'A' wing, as this was the common way, in the Service, of identifying cannon versus MG armed Spits at the time of the introduction of the MkIX.
A Spitfire 'MkIXb' is actually a MkIXc, and therefore has the standard layout of cannon, MGs and cannon BFM bulges.
Should save you a bit of work!

Wojtek my friend, there are many books on the Spitfire already, a lot of which are fairly basic, some are downright inaccurate, one or two are laughable, and a few are superb! With these to hand, most things about the Spit can be discovered, although it's often personal accounts, or information collected first hand, that answers some questions, such as the 'falacy' of the MkIXb.
I don't think I need to add yet another Spitfire book to the ranks!
George, yes, that MkIXb can be built straight from the box with this kit, which has the various BFM bulged covers included. All of the ICM Spit kits are the same kit (except the low-back MkXVI of course) but with different decals, so all MkIX and MkVIII versions can be built from any of their kits.

Very cool choice :D I have this one in 1/32 Tamiya ( was the 8th one in our city to get it on release lol :D) Same Canadian Maple Leaf :) different plane :)

Thank you, gentlemen. I am relying heavily on Andy's(Crimea_River) build for inspiration and to avoid any pitfalls that are built into the kit. First up, the gear selector is molded in the up position so before I commit any surgery, does this look close enough to the down position(Note the RAF font and RLM colors)

002.JPG

Photos of the painted innards to follow.

Geo

Last edited:
005.JPG

Dang furlushinger close-ups. Overcooked one gauge and forgot another. Pedals were a nightmare. The sprue between them was almost as large and almost broke them off. Are they green or metal? I've seen both.

Geo

Last edited:
Good stuff so far Geo, and yes, the U/C lever position looks close enough.
You're probably aware already, and I think it's shown in Andy's build, but when you come to join the fuselage, it's a good idea to cement some tabs of scrap plastic inside the fuselage, along the joint lines, to aid alignment and fitting. Then cement and join the fuselage in stages, clamping as you go, as there is some warpage evident. The pics below, from my 'Bob Cross' build, show what I mean.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 051.jpg
    Bob Cross build 051.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Bob Cross build 059.jpg
    Bob Cross build 059.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 176
Crep, I didn't even notice the lack of alignment pins. Oh well, I've done it before, so "shouldn't" be a problem. Thanks Terry. What color was correct for the seat cushion on the back of the seat. I've seen both black and brown.

Geo

Last edited:
Got 2 pictures of this rig Geo, though not very helpful. Let me know if you want me to e-mail the to you. Also have plenty of spare parts if you need them.

Thanks Igor. That would be great Andy. If you don't have my Email anymore, send me a PM. Just about finished painting the innards, photos laterish tonight.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back