**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII - OOB (Out of Box) unofficial GB-2015. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Advanced
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Airfix
Model Type: Spitfire Mk XII
Aftermarket addons: PE Belts from Eduard

This model will depict the Spitfire MkXII EN625 flown by S/L Ray Harries of 91 Squadron

91sqdn-spit12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
15011206.jpg

This Airfix kit is for me a good candidate for an OOB project. It was one of the first of the "new generation" Airfix kits that helped launch their comeback and has plenty of detail and optional parts to make it a decent build with nothing added. Perhaps the biggest knock against this kit is the cavernous panel lines (still smaller than my Hobbycraft Hurricane though) but I may remedy this with a good primer followed by sanding. No decal is provided for the instrument panel and, this being an OOB build, I'll therefore need to paint in the details. I plan on leaving the canopy closed anyway and there's good cockpit detail otherwise to make a convincing pit when viewed through the glass.

There are two main sprues complete with separately molded control surfaces. Flaps are provided for either the retracted or deployed position but, like any proper representation of a parked Spit, the flaps will be displayed as retracted.

15011207.jpg

15011208.jpg

Surface detail is decent despite the previously mentioned panel lines but a coat or two of paint and minimal use of wash should make for an acceptable surface.

15011213.jpg

15011211.jpg

Here is the instrument panel which will end up having the instruments painted by hand.

15011212.jpg

The decals look nice and feature a flat finish. Hopefully they aren't too thick and sit down nicely.

15011209.jpg

A nice colour painting guide is also included.

15011210.jpg

I can see this build being one that should go fairly quickly once I get a few hours with it so am looking forward to getting started when my bench clear a bit.

Last edited:
Nice one Andy. I should add a MkXII to my collection - not sure whether to get this kit, or the Hobby Boss offering.
BTW, presumably a typo, but the codes shown in your header shot are 91 Sqn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back