**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkVIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: ICM
Model Type: Spifire Mk VIII
Aftermarket addons: Possibly resin prop blades and spinner, resin seat, Ad Astra masks in lieu of decals (Spitfire Mk VIII 155 Sqn MD280 Paul Ostrander from Ad Astra masks), plenty of scratch built crap.

I'll be entering the Spifire Marks GB with this ICM Mk VIII kit. The aircraft that will be depicted is this rather colourful example flown by Paul Ostrander, a Canadian from Winnipeg who flew with 155 squadron in Burma in 44-45. Picture and profile are from "Spitfire - The Canadians" by Robert Bracken.

The start of this build will be a bit slow as I first want to finish my Me 410 for an upcoming contest. I'll have plenty of lessons learned to apply from my Mk IX build last year so will go into this one with my eyes open and my file ready!

Attachments

• Profile Spit VIII DG_R MD280 155 Sqdn Paul Ostrander.jpg
    Profile Spit VIII DG_R MD280 155 Sqdn Paul Ostrander.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,139
  • Spit VIII DG_ 155 Sqdn.jpg
    Spit VIII DG_ 155 Sqdn.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Well Charles, as I said, I'll not start this one for some time (probably 2-3 weeks away or so) as I want to concentrate on completion of my Me 410. And that will start when my Steinhoff 109 is done.

Vic, what do you mean about "2 on each side"? The white ID bands, from what I understand, consist of one wide band on each wing and stabilizer, top and bottom.

Edit: I've added plan views of this aircraft below. Critiques are always welcome as I do strive for accuracy.

Attachments

• l_spitfire%20mkviii%20-%20155sqn%20dg-r%20(md280)%20-%20paul%20ostrander.png
    l_spitfire%20mkviii%20-%20155sqn%20dg-r%20(md280)%20-%20paul%20ostrander.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I couldn't find a plan view in my references Andy and was just looking at the photo you posted where you can see the port marking quite clearly under the guys legs and by the cannon, but looking at the stbd side it seemed that the stripe was further out on the wing. Obviously my mistake and my apologies.

I am using your previous build of the ICM Mk IX as a guide for my build. Thanks for the great information, I can't wait to see what you do with this one.
(After the 410, of course.)

Thanks Paul and I hope you find my AE-B build helpful.

Vic, I crossed posts with yours. No apologies necessary mate! I'm not that "up" on PTO schemes so welcome any and all feedback.

Well, they are definitely there in the photo so they will be on the model. Ostrander flew with Lacey and 155 until May 1945.

Last edited:
Thanks Wojtek. I did come across those in various searches I did. The top pic is actually DG-K. The fellows shaking hands are Ginger Lacey and Albert Wittridge and it's not certain that this is in front of the plane I'm doing, althouth the dragon symbol is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back