**** DONE: 1/48 TBM-1C Grumman Avenger VC-13 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Accurate Miniatures
Model Type: Grumman Avenger TBM-3/TBF-1c
Aftermarket addons: OOB except for possibly seatbelts and non-kit decals.

Read a lot about this kit being a real beauty and I received it recently in a trade with Cory. A scan through the individually bagged sprues reveals some really fine and extensive detail, making this a great OOB candidate. I have not decided on a scheme yet and would prefer building a model depicting an aircraft in Atlantic service in the non-specular white and dark gull gray scheme but may just end up using the kit-supplied decals for a USS Bunker Hill aircraft.

As I'm not very knowledgeable about this aircraft, nor of its Atlantic service, I'd welcome any and all useful suggestions and feedback during the course of this build as I'm keen to learn. I'll launch into this kit slowly as I'll need to concentrate on getting my two Spitfires done over the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I built that kit a few years back, there are some tricky bits, but with your level of experience, things should go well. Watch the turret assembly, as I recall that was one part that was a little dicey. Were I to do another, I would either replace the landing gear or find a way to beef it up. This one is heavy! There is a lot of stuff inside, I pulled mine out of the box and set it on the desk, 5 minutes later, and it's still shaking!

misc20.jpg

Nice choice Andy. I've done a lot of research and have ton of reference material for the TBF/TBM. If you need anything let me know and I can probably help you out.

Great, thanks Jason. Suggestions for some Atlantic profiles would be good if you have any.

Good choice Andy. I used this kit (Italeri boxing) in the PTO GB. Have a look at the thread, as it shows all the areas to be aware of, and a tutorial on how to install the turret. It's a beaut of a kit, but needs careful attention in parts.

Nice one Andy, be nice to see yo doing this one as I've looked at getting one myself a couple of times but have resisted the impulse.

It's a very nice kit Andy. Interior detail is great but somewhere I erred and had trouble with the rear. Put it all back in the box. Now, with a bit more experience, I might take it back out and see if I can correct the problem. Looking forward to your build. It might help me.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back