**** DONE: 1/48 Westland Whirlwind Mk.I - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
1/48 Westland Whirlwind Mk.I

User Name: Wayne Little
Name : Wayne
Category : Non Competing Judge
Kit : Trumpeter Westland Whirlwind
Scale : 1/48
Accessories : Eduard Cockpit and seatbelt set, canopy masks Exterior Details and Barracuda Cast Resin Wheels.

The subject of this build will be HE-Z, P6974 of No.263 Squadron, where new identification markings were added for Operation Starkey in September of 1942.

Operation Starkey was originally planned as a large-scale invasion hoax, by the time it was actually executed it was considerably downsized. In its final form Operation Starkey was visualised as a feint against the Boulogne beaches and intended to divert German troops from Italy and draw the Luftwaffe into large-scale combat with RAF fighters over the channel. Unfortunately, as the operation reached its climax on September 9 1943, it became obvious that operation Starkey aroused nothing but a supreme lack of interest from the Germans. In spite of all the aerial and Naval activity only two German aircraft were shot down. Whatever the Allies were selling the Germans were not buying.

Attachments

• Westland Whirlwind_Profile_b_White background.jpg
    Westland Whirlwind_Profile_b_White background.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:
So far this is the only pair of images I have come across that show the markings, from my bit of research the aircraft carried White and Black stripe markings NOT just the While stripes often depicted.

Image Source from the Internet, not sure of the exact book these are taken from as they appeared as reference on 2 different sites.

Attachments

• 13-ca56e532b0_zps7f3404e8.jpg
    13-ca56e532b0_zps7f3404e8.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 454
Oh yea. This is going to be great. Thanks for the info on the op. I did not know of it so I have already learned something.

Cheers,

Jeff

thanks again, George, chuck in the cockpit photo's, I may have them,I may not better to be sure!

First item on the agenda, apparently the wing tanks have re-inforcing ? strips on the top and bottom as well as on the leading edge over the oil tank, so I found the smallest plasticard half round strip and cut these to length and rounded the front and back edges and glued these in place to simulate the raised strips, I may sand then down a tad yet to reduce the profile....

Attachments

• 1_Port Wing Strips_1557.jpg
    1_Port Wing Strips_1557.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 2_Port Wing Strips_1553.jpg
    2_Port Wing Strips_1553.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 247
I'll invest in one of these, for the Swede that flew one...Pilot Officer Ralph Otto Gustaf Häggberg, RAF No. 120677...
He was lost and was reported as MIA on the 12 February '42, in Westland Whirlwind P7093, he is commemorated on Panel 69 of the Air Force Memorial, Runnymede.

Looking forward to this Master Wayne! :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back