**** DONE: 1/72 Blenheim Mk.IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: Blenheim Mk. IV
Kit: 1/72 Airfix

Accessories; Not many available for this little bugger. So probably not. Will have to do some mods, and scratching on this one, mainly interior, I think?

Completion also depends on Airfix. This is the first purchase from the auctions that has arrived damaged. One prop, and the main canopy, trash. Seller didn't label it fragile, and the box he shipped it is another flimsy box wrapping it tight. So I'll have to contact Airfix and see if I can get a replacement for each.

This is another Davidson build. Barry had fewer than fifty hours in his pilot's logbook when he took off in a Blenheim IV (R8662) on a daylight raid with #18 Squadron. It was July 6, 1940 and he was ordered to bomb an enemy aerodrome in France. It was to be his first and only combat operation and the first day of almost five years as a POW.

After successfully attacking the target the aircraft was struck by flak. With his elevators and compass out of action, P/O Davidson headed back across the English Channel. Upon reaching the coast, he put his Blenheim down on what he
thought was an English beach and later recalled, "I was reading a map in the observer's position, trying to see where we might be in England .Suddenly I looked up and Germans were swarming down from the cliffs onto the beach." In
a letter to his parents in Calgary he wrote, "Looks like I am in cold storage for the duration." He eventually ended up in Stalag Luft III.

Fellow POW's in Stalag Luft III referred to Barry as "The Scrounger" for his skill at obtaining necessary escape materials from the other side of the barbed wire. He used these talents in several break-out attempts, the best known of which was documented in Paul Brickhill's book, "The Great Escape," which was later glamorized in a Hollywood film.

The Blenheim aircraft in the Bomber Command Museum Canada has been restored in memory of Barry Davidson and carries the RAF markings of the aircraft he flew, as well as honouring Barry, it is a memorial to all those allied airmen who became Prisoners of War.

The painting is by John B. Rutherford

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 1a.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 1a.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 257
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 1b.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 1b.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 255
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to see this one being built Bill. I have it in my stash and from the look of the clear parts I would defiantly consider getting the Squadron vac canopy set for it.

so i took my arm outa the sling for a bit today.............

the cowlings look like crap so i sanded them smooth. i shaved the dimples off first and drilled a half mm hole to mark the locations. i used a rectangle of styrene and shaped the profile of the dimples, then like a loaf of bread i sliced 18 of them off and with a dot of glue, they are on.

then on another search i discovered the top nacel section is not as long as the bottom for the gear. in the example i found the builder had cut a big section out of the fairing and wing. i discovered there is enough meat in the wing to do all the shaving needed. although there is light showing thru at the very back end. so the other wing mod may need to be plugged.

i am hunting for a good picture of the back of the instrument panel and the nav bench and seat arrgt. i sailor on, single handed!

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2a.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 240
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2b.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2b.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 256
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2c.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2c.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 234
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2d.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 2d.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 246
Nice start Bill!

Falcon do indeed do a Blenheim Mk.I and Mk.IV canopy set as part of set no.8: RAF bombers WW II. This is also sold seperately (as Glenn said) under the Squadron Clear Vax brand name. (I have the original Falcon set if you need it.)

Cutaway photocopied from a book I found years back (Don't recall title or author, only that is was part of a 2-book series on RAF bombers)

STA52958.JPG

Last edited:
Nice start Bill! Falcon do indeed do a Blenheim Mk.I and Mk.IV canopy set as part of set no.8: RAF bombers WW II. This is also sold seperately (as Glenn said) under the Squadron Clear Vax brand name. (I have the original Falcon set if you need it.) View attachment 236063

Another package from Hungary???? Pretty soon I'll have all your stuff! But if you are willing again, I'll take it!

Wayne I am being pretty careful. I want to play golf again one day! I let it out only on occasion.

I have found a walk around of a Mk.IV with some good shots of the nav table, so I think I can plan it out okay.

No worries Bill, is a VAST improvement over the kit part. Get that off to ya in the week.

Btw, can you post a link on the walkaround you found please? Could use it for my own projects.
Will check out yours later too Geo - thanks for posting!

Heck Bill! I hadn't realised you were going to start on this one so soon! I'll get that info scanned and sent by tomorrow (Sunday), as you will need it before going any further on the engines and wings!
And I agree about the kit canopy - it's cr@p, to put it bluntly!

No worries Bill, is a VAST improvement over the kit part. Get that off to ya in the week.

Btw, can you post a link on the walkaround you found please? Could use it for my own projects.
Will check out yours later too Geo - thanks for posting!

Not so much a walkaround, but bits, What I can do is burn a CD of everything I collect when I am finished and get it off to you.

Terry, no worries. Were you going to email it to me? I just couldn't wait to get stuck into it.

David, I do let my left hand out for R&R for short sessions.

I've once again gone off the deep end. The cowling flaps. They seem to have a Filler between the flap pieces, for lack of a better term.

!. 1mm x 1mm square styrene.
2. I started Improving this by making a saw-cut, looked like crap.
3. I used the edge of a thin file to open this gap for the styrene.
4. Inserted short lengths of the styrene, then filed them off front and back.
5. I filed them down so they are a hairs thickness taller than the flaps. When finished they should look like a sheet metal gap cover. Now to finish the first one, and do the other.

A lot of work..... for little pay off, but that's what I tend to do.

Oh, and I flattened the rocker arm cover dimples to look more to scale.

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 3.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 3.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back