**** DONE: 1/72 Lockheed P-38H Lightning - Heavy Hitters II GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This might help Michael. From the Mushroom book - it's the J model, but essentially the same.

Attachments

• P-38 cpit.pdf
    794.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P-38 cpit 2.pdf
    503.8 KB · Views: 118
  • P-38 cpit 3.pdf
    689.4 KB · Views: 86
  • P-38 cpit 4.pdf
    794.7 KB · Views: 84
I made some further progress tonite, but only a litle, and am quite happy with the results do far. Ivechecked the model for imperfections none of any great significance. i sprayed the base coat for the interior surfaces....looks quite good. Put on my IP dials, to a slightly diffrent methodology, and am satisfied with the reult. will post some of the dreaded close ups in a day or so. Have done a scratch built control column, made from 8A fuse wire, coated in filler once I got the shapr right. The filler was to "thicken up the "steering wheel" and generally soften its external appearance. Ive painted the "steering wheel black, to give it a slight contrast to the IP face that will be behind it, once I put everything together. If the subtle difference doesnt work, I might do the handles in thet red brown yet, but hopefully not.

Im waiting now for the cockpit detail toarrive nopw, so that I can finish the interior . im happy enough not to use the PE Ip, but I might attempt to get the cockpit sides looking a little less bare, and of course Ill use the Eduard pilot harness. I still havent a clue how you guys scratch build your own harnesses yet, maybe for the next model.

Anyway, pictures will follw when I have something a bit more substantial to show, but so far, Im happy.

I did this model in late 80s early 90s, watch the fit of the two fuselage parts are mine retouch tube had to shut excess dimensions both sides, put us a picture of the work you popdremos so advise so you can correct something if necessary.

I'm stumped as well. Never got the hang of drinking a bottle of wine, then trying to negotiate making seat belts from the cover.

now what was it i was going to do with this strip of tin foil....oh hang it, where is that bottle of shiraz.....

And now kiddies, heersh howd du make da harnesh from d wine buddle ... or id dat d foil buddle ... or make d buddle from d foil bit ... or ..sheeesh! I'd not as drink as yous thunk I'm is !

Any heavy foil will do, just cut some strips into the size you want. Buckles can be made from wire. I usually use a couple of different tweezers, a flat nose and a pointy nose.
I won't say every try is good, but after a couple of attempts, there should be something usable.

You drunks have convinced me to at least have a go....I will use some aluminum strip from a tablet (of the medical kind. Its a sort of aluminium foil backed or reinforced by some sort of card reinforcing. The strips will need to be about 1.3cm long and about 1.5mm wide. Ill form the buckles and adjustment harness from the trusty 8A fuse wire, bending the wire into a sort of "U" shape using the small edge of a stell rule, and the finest pliers or tweezers that I have. I think I will paint the foil before applying the buckles, and then finally shape each bit of the harness around the pilot seat. Hell, what have i got to lose. if it doesnt work, Ill just use the PE part if and when it arrives.

nothing ventureed nothing gained I guess.

Good stuff Michael. And isn't a Shiraz 2008 a big Japanese sports car ......? Ok, I know where me coat is ..................

Good stuff Michael. And isn't a Shiraz 2008 a big Japanese sports car ......? Ok, I know where me coat is ..................

Now I know your pissed!!!!!

b0227.gif

well 2 nights nd hers are the results. i forgot how brutal close ups are. At normal zoom, the cockpit looks pretty good, but in close up....well there it is

The airfix kit is very sparse as far as cockpit detail. ive done the IP the steering yoke, the side control panels, and the safety harness myself, mostly from scratch building. I was happy with the harness until i saw the close ups.......

Im okay with what Im done, especially considering ive never tried to make my own harness before. but.....

As a point of reference, the metal cylinder in the top right corner that you see is the end of a 1.5mm drill......

Attachments

• 102_2515.jpg
    102_2515.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 79
  • 102_2516.jpg
    102_2516.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 102_2517.jpg
    102_2517.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 78
Looks good enough to me Michael. Once it's all closed up, and to the naked eye, it should look the biz.
And the main thing is - you did it - it wasn't an after market add-on.

Great job for a first try. Keep your eye out for some thinner wire for the next time you make some buckles. You got the technique down for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back