**** DONE: 1/72 Spitfire MK.IA - Defense of Britain/Atlantic. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Username: destrozas
First name: Sergio
Category: intermeadilly
Scale: 1/72
Manufacturer: Airfix #A1071A
Model Type: supermarine spitfire MK IA
accesory: none

a12001a-b.jpg

The plane Spitfire MK IA the Nº92 sqn X4561 based on Pembrey, Wales during August 1940 and Manson, kent during December 1940.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good one Sergio.
Is it a Mk1b or Mk1a ? The box art and profile show a Mk1a, as suggested also by the serial number. The Mk1b, of which there were relatively few, was armed with cannons.

Good one Sergio.
Is it a Mk1b or Mk1a ? The box art and profile show a Mk1a, as suggested also by the serial number. The Mk1b, of which there were relatively few, was armed with cannons.

wojtek as you said, it is a mistake of mine transcription

the kit

100_6100a.jpg

this plane has used the painting Hataka to check are as

Last edited by a moderator:
That could be a typo error in the book, which I spotted in my copy, as the profile does not show the cannon. I'll see if I can check the type against the serial number before I go away, but I'm rather pushed for time, so if anyone else can help with this it would be useful.

Yep.. undoubtedly the kite wasn't armed with the 20mm cannons in the pic. The enlarged one shows it clearly.

Spitfire 92 sqdn_2.jpg

However the image presents a group of Spitfires of the 92nd squadron. The formation is said to be of Spitfire Mk.Vb taken in the first half of 1941. The aircraft nearest the camera, R6923, was built as a Mk.1 and converted to a Mk.V prior to delivery to 92 Squadron on 26th November 1940. There can be seen the QJ-B in the picture as well. But the enlarged part of the image reveals the Spitfire was armed with cannons. No wonder if it would be the Mk.Vb. And this may be the reason for the confusion.

Spitfire 92 Sqdn RAF_1.jpg

Spitfire 92 Sqdn RAF.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back