**** DONE: 1/72nd P-38J Lightning - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
username;woljags
name;bob
category; beginner
model;Lockheed P.38J Lightning
kit;Frog
scale;1/72nd
accessories;soob plus scratch built cockpit and undercarriage detailing

I have a soft spot for these as well but more the kit than the aircraft type again one of the 1st kits i built as a child 40 plus years ago,my 3rd entry, i do plan to add a 4th entry my fav plane of all time if i feel i can do it justice,if not i will keep it to the 3 ,let see how this one turns out

bob5202.jpg

bob5203.jpg

bob5204.jpg

bob5205.jpg

bob5206.jpg

bob5207.jpg

bob5208.jpg

lots of sink marks in this kit

bob5209.jpg

bob5210.jpg

bob5211.jpg

i made a small cockpit with sides from card and painted it interior green,then made a dash again from card using cotton bud sticks cut into dash instruments as the sticks are hollow

bob5212.jpg

bob5213.jpg

the dash was then painted black and white paint was dropped into the cotton bud stick pieces and then covered with clear vanish to look like glass

bob5214.jpg

this was then fitted a long with some more card and shaped sprue to make the throttle control and side panels to the cockpit

bob5215.jpg

then using a paperclip and some card i made a small joy stick

thats all the progress so far on this one as it now needs to dry out before going any further,

thanks for looking

bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't sleep last night due to stress so back to some modeling;

bob5217.jpg

bob5218.jpg

bob5219.jpg

after masking off the cockpit i sprayed the silver main colour and then put it a side to dry,i will crystal clear the finish once dry but am worried the oil in my hands might damage this very shiny paintwork

thanks for looking

You'r wecome Pal. :D I hope the stress has disappered when assembling the model.

it helped Wojtek but i have a lot going on at work and home,nothing nasty apart from my kidney pains, its just there is to much to do and think about, all with deadlines

Good selection Bob, also one of my top liked machines. Some very innovative ideas come out as well and I trust and hope life improves for you soon.

bob5219.jpg

bob5217-1.jpg

bob5218-1.jpg

bob5221.jpg

bob5222.jpg

bob5223.jpg

bob5224.jpg

bob5226.jpg

bob5225.jpg

bob5227.jpg

progress so far tonight showing the blue colour inserts being added,I was going to use a darker blue but after looking at it i decided to mix the correct colour to match the transfers as shown,the next job is to seal the paintwork with a few coats of klear before adding the markings,

thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back