**** DONE: Bf 109 "white 12" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
Kit:Tamiya
Scale:1/48
username:Javlin
builder:Kevin
class:intermediate

My 2nd entry is what seems to to the venerable Tamiya 1/48 109(is a nice kit) in Terry sorry it was White 12 I have no idea who the pilot was for this crate.This will be another run for OOB kit for me.I have another that I am working on for details witha plenty of scratch happening.To think 5yrs ago I had hardly built a 109 for fear of thier paint schemes now I can't get enough of them.I get these four kits knocked out only 150++ more to go :D and lets see who gets them all built first Wayne?:lol: I know your stash would make us all look meek.

Attachments

• BOB 011_edited (900 x 533).jpg
    BOB 011_edited (900 x 533).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 779
  • BOB 010_edited (900 x 609).jpg
    BOB 010_edited (900 x 609).jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 194
  • BOB 001_edited (900 x 587).jpg
    BOB 001_edited (900 x 587).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one! Now I understand what you meant in the other post. You'll need to leave off the white tail band, as this was the MTO recognition band, and the aircraft I think is supposed to be that of Muncheberg, Kapitan, 7 Staffel, as it was in Gela and then North Africa. The only change to the colours, from what I remember, when the Staffel went to Sicily, was the addition of the white theatre tail band. I'd need to check the details to be totally certain, as it's 04:45 hrs here, and my brain has died ! I'm off to bed !!

Another nice choice Kevin! That Tamiya 109 kit has to be the most popular kit in this group build. I'm doing 2 of them and Wayne is doing one. I know there is at least one more out there but I can't think who's doing it off the top of my head.

Muncheberg did not fly White 12 until he was in North Africa his aircraft was coded White 1 and carried the III Gruppe Vertical bar on the rear fuselage...at the time he left for Africa he had 23 victories marked on the rudder of his aircraft.

His 23rd victory is noted on the 14th Nov 1940 and unconfirmed, 22 was on the 25th Oct.

Have attached a shot during the move to Africa of White 1 showing the vertical bar on the fuselage and the 23 victories on the rudder. While it is difficult to tell sure the rudder is yellow, however I think the area beneath the victory bars is still light Blue.

Source : I regret I don't recall...:(

Attachments

• Muncheberg Bf109E7 White 1 23 b.JPG
    Muncheberg Bf109E7 White 1 23 b.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Well this guy is working out better than the Spit for the time being.I have pretty much got the pit ready to go.I painted the rack around the O2 bottle silver while the bottle is a m/light blue.I did add one part to the IP and that was F/Pump lever to the R/S.It nothing more than very narrow strip of paper with white canopy glue used to make the ball on the end.I find that the thickness of that glue works well for this and does not shrink much.I think I am going to invest in some cheap extra light source for photography because as you can see these neons don't work.Cheers

Attachments

• BOB 014_edited (600 x 407).jpg
    BOB 014_edited (600 x 407).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 166
  • BOB 015_edited (587 x 600).jpg
    BOB 015_edited (587 x 600).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 158
  • BOB 017_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    BOB 017_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 160
Looking good Kevin. With the info Wayne supplied, you can finish it as 'White 1' now, just by adapting the decals.
I use two inexpensive desk lamps for my photos (and modelling). They're the modern equivalent of the old 'Anglepoise' lamps, although not a s good, with 55w halogen bulbs. They're OK for most stuff, but a bigger coverage of the light would be better for some shots.

i have a question to interject here and would appreciate an answer, i build models from time to time and it has always bothered me that so much detail is put into the cockpit and then it is burried in the fuselage where no one sees it. I'm working on a B-29 1/48 and the interior detail down to instrument dials is all there, then it is sealed up and will never be seen
any solution?

Mike I tried a quick search for ya but I have seen guys cutout a section of plastic in the area they wish to have viewed.The said area that was cutout was then triimmed in red paint usually.I could even think one could go a set further if they wish and cut the area out and then go back over with some .010 clear plastic.

Here you go Mike use wrong terminology earlier

http://www.westway-aircraft-models.com/2.html

Last edited:
that cut out technique is something i have heard before, On my B-29 i was thinking of making just 1/2 of the plane. the clear would be very difficult and i would think a lot of reflection would set in. it is so frustrating to spend a couple of weeks building and painting an interior just to hide it.
i was looking at another post in this section where the builder was going back and forth about where and how the rudder pedals were placed. once built no one will ever see them so why care. on so kits i've just discarded the interior unless it shows through the canopy

Obviously it's up to the individual Mike, but I agree; if the detail isn't going to be seen, then it's rather pointless spending time and effort replicating it. However, some models do benefit from at least some detail, to give a hint of what's under the hood, and it's often more noticeable by its abscence. Bottom line - add or use what you see fit for the purposes of display.
Kevin, the white band was a Theatre I.D. recognition marking for the MTO. The yellow cowlings etc appeared as of mid August 1940, as a quick tactical I.D., and remained when the unit went to MTO.
The yellow was applied using a washable, distemper-type paint, and was never pristine, apart from when first applied.
If I can get it completed soon, the major points re markings will be in the next post in the 'BoB Bits Box' thread.

airframes, i do sincerely thank you, i just wonder what is going through the kit makers mind when they design a kit with intricate and authentic details and then bury them

I think it's partly due to the 'expectations' of today's modellers, and partly creating a market. Kit producers add more and more detail - some welcome, some superfluous,probably/possibly in a bid to gain market share due to perceived 'quality', and aftermarket manufacturers produce accessories to 'improve', enhance or add to these. Not many years ago, the level of detail on the average model of today, would have only been seen on museum exhibits, painstakingly crafted by the modeller, not added from pre-painted, (almost) ready to use manufactured parts.

So I found this Wayne and Terry and it falls in line with what you were mentioning Wayne "White 1" and has a "black heart".I would need to repaint the rudder no biggee but we go black kill marks sound right Wayne?The mottling I would say Wayne in this profile is what one would call a heavy pattern?Is that correct from your books?

Attachments

• 109_muencheberg.gif
    109_muencheberg.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 142
Looks about right for a III/JG26 aircraft. Note that the heart is red, not black. It's probably just the reproduction of the profile, as the red tone can only just be discerned, but it was red.

Thks Terry I found another site talking about the emblems and stated the same thing just always good to hear another opinion.Cheers

Thanks Harrison.I have gotten the RLM 65 applied for the first coat I like to do this then come back w/RLM66 for preshading and then hit it lightly with 65 again.I painted and will applly the nose pieces last since it fits so well.I have a goof up I got to fix on the lower cowl :cussing:.I do not like these Tamiya paint codes now they had as3,as4 and as5 listed and as4 and as5 I thing are RLM74 and RLM75?Wotjek,Terry,Wayne anybody what do ya think?

Attachments

• BOB 019_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    BOB 019_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 136
  • BOB 020_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    BOB 020_edited (600 x 450).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 139
  • BOB 021_edited (600 x 313).jpg
    BOB 021_edited (600 x 313).jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back