**** DONE: Bf109E-4 White 7 Oblt. Hans Ohly StaffelKapitan 1/JG53 BoB Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Bf109E-4 White 7 Oblt. Hans Ohly StaffelKapitan 1/JG53 Sept 1940

Username: Wayne Little
Name: Wayne
Category: Judge, non-competing.
Scale: 1/ 48
Kit: Tamiya Bf109E-4
Accessories: Minimal ..Etch seat belts and maybe Resin Wheels…

As I am currently juggling multiple projects I have decided to do the more straight forward Tamiya 1/48 Bf109E-4 and save my original subject, the Eduard 1/32 Bf109E for a future build…..

The aircraft of Oberleutnant Hans Ohly will be depicted as at the beginning of Sept. 1940 when he took over command of 1 Staffel of JG53, previously he had flown as the wingman of the then Kapitan, Hauptmann. Hans-Karl Meyer who had been promoted to GruppenKommandeur to lead I Gruppe of JG53 at the end of August.
Oblt. Ohly had 4 victories at this time and his White 7 carried a non-standard camouflage scheme which seemed to be the norm within JG53 ranks before and during the BoB period, as many aircraft can be seen with completely different schemes applied.
In studying this and other aircraft, it would seem that White 7 had a fuselage Camo utilizing all 4 standard colours that were in use at the time, RLM 70 Black Green, 71 Dark Green, 02 Grey and 65 Light Blue while the wings appear to be in a high contrast of RLM 71 and 65, although RLM 02 is a distinct possibility with the RLM 71?
However I rather like the high contrast option of 71/65 on the wings and am going with this scheme.

Another feature of JG53 aircraft was that from Sometime in July until mid October 1940 the familiar 'Ace of Spades' insignia was replaced with a Red band around the cowling, the reasons for this have been varied but not fully explained…??

Attachments

• White 7_aa.JPG
    White 7_aa.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 433
  • White 7_Profile 2a.JPG
    White 7_Profile 2a.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 474
Last edited by a moderator:
:cool: I was thinking about White 15 or 8. I have seen the profile of the Bf109 recently.The "7" was yellow but not white. ALso looking at the picture, it seems the digit was with the black outline.

Last edited:
:cool: I was thinking about White 15 or 8. I have seen the profile of the Bf109 recently.The "7" was yellow but not white. ALso looking at the picture, it seems the digit was with the black outline.

It is definitely white 7....still wondering about whether there is a thin border....? Most white numbered aircraft do not have a border, all aircraft of the 3rd staffel of each Gruppe have thick black borders to their yellow numbers...

Last edited:
The white colour is very possible.But the colour of the digit has a little bit different tonality than the white parts of the Greman Cross. Concerning the thin black outline...please look at the magnified part of the picture.It seems it was there.

Attachments

• White 7_aa1.JPG
    White 7_aa1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 361
Nice choice Wayne! I love the unusual camouflage. I think you're correct using RLM 65 on the wings, it seems to match exactly the shade of paint on the lower fuselage in the photo.

The white colour is very possible.But the colour of the digit has a little bit different tonality than the white parts of the Greman Cross. Concerning the thin black outline...please look at the magnified part of the picture.It seems it was there.

Hmmmm, the 7 does look to have a different tonality than the white in the cross....

You are right it does have a slight difference...but remember the centre of the fuel triangle is Yellow RLM 04 and the number is not even close to this tone, closer to the white border...Yellow marked numbers are certainly much darker in the b/w photos indicating that 04 was the normal colour used...

Certainly a different scheme Wayne !
The '7' very well could be white, but its tone does suggest yellow, and bear in mind that the fuel triangle is for 'C3' - a red triangle, not the yellow of '87' octane. There certainly seems to be a thin, presumably black, outline to the number also.
Popular reason behind the removal of the 'Pik As' badge is Goering's disfavour with the Jewish connections of the Kommodore, and that he decreed that the Geschwader should be known as the 'Red Ring' Geschwader. The 'Pik As' re-appeared when von Maltzahn took over command of the JG in November, and a number of the JG Stab aircraft, at least, had the swastika over painted at this time, probably as a political protest.
There is no definite evidence to prove it, but it is possible that JG53 were used officially, or unofficially, to 'experiment' with various camouflage schemes, as there wer e a multitude of differing schemes known to have been used on their aircraft during this period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back