DONE: F4U-1A of Lt. Bill Case of VMF-214, Group Build...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my entry into the second Group Build of ww2aircraft.net....

BuNo. 17873, which was flown by Lt. Bill Case during the First Tour Blacksheep of VMF-214, during August-September 1943...

Wojtek, Paul and Jan have made this Tribute Build a reality for me, as the decals were nowhere to be found and it was near impossible to find a specific crate assigned to VMF-214 during the First Tour... Paul was able to provide me with some invaluable research material, Jan supplied the decals and Wojtek found a pic that I was able to research down to a 95% chance my Grandfather flew it...

Anyways, the kit is the Trumpeter 1/32nd F4U-1D and I will back date it to an F4U-1A...

Attachments

• Bill Case.jpg
    Bill Case.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 465
  • Corsair%20873.jpg
    Corsair%20873.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 541
  • f4u 002.jpg
    f4u 002.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 982
  • f4u 006.jpg
    f4u 006.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 421
  • f4u 008.jpg
    f4u 008.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 447
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm rather attached to my body and all its limbs and also would like to enjoy a good health and a long life, I'm not gonna argue with you....:lol:

You know, finding all the stuff you need to do a tribute to your grandfather is yet another great success story from this site. It's incredible that people from all over the world have helped each other find information and locate relatives, etc. I look forward to seeing this one built, Dan.

Well, he'll be tagging along with us during the build, and slap Dan on the back of his head, as soon as he does something that he doesn't approve of!

Here's to your Granddad Dan! :salute:

This will be very educational to me as I confess that I know little about the PTO. With a view to research did you inquire over at TOCH forum for information? If not, you should as they have some very diligent historians as members and may be able to help you.

I'm really looking forward to this one Dan!
Now remember, there's no pressure. You've got three months and one week in which to complete this mission. It's a tribute to your Grand Father, there's documented evidence of the unit and the aircraft, the kit is so big that you can add plenty of detail to enhance it, it's going to be the 'model' for a painting, and..oh yes..the whole World is watching. So, no pressure at all then, is there mate?
BTW, I'll send you a pic via e-mail (when I find it). I'd be interested in your comments.

The one thing that really concerns me is the amount of weathering and fading that these crates had....

I have purchased something new that Im gonna try on the 109 Im still painting for the first build.... Its called Pro Modeller Weathering Wash, expensive as sh!t, but the results looked phenominal, so we'll see where this goes and if its gonna be the real deal.... The light dirt one may be the ticket in getting the fading to look tits on....

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 228
Dan, really good video and very enjoyable. How neat is it to have a GF who flew with the Jolly Rogers? Notice he did a wheels landing. Those Corsairs had not probably been debounced yet. My mistake, he flew with VMF214, the Blacksheep!

Thanks Rich....

First thing to get goin is the cockpit.... Im in need of some reference material, preferably in color..... This is what I have so far....

Attachments

• post-1-1226080438.jpg
    post-1-1226080438.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 362
  • left-int-1.jpg
    left-int-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 293
  • cockpit-8-a.jpg
    cockpit-8-a.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 230
  • cockpit.bmp
    831 KB · Views: 232