**** DONE: Flashback 1:48 Me163 A v4 Komet - Heini Dittmar, 1941 - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys - appreciate the encouragement

I've got a few pics to put up once I get the chance.

She's got the decals on, a bit of weathering and needs a final coat of Klear/Future then she's done

Home straight

Few bits and pieces left to do (just waiting for the decals to settle). Then the top coat of Klear and we're done.

Pic 1 - Top coat of RLM76
Pic 2 - We has a cockpit
Pic 3 - Side view

Quick question - how to paint the pitot tube (if at all)?

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1082.jpg

DSCF1081.jpg

That looks a cracker! Great job mate. The pitot would normally be stainless steel, but you'd need to check photos to see if the support tube was painted, or whether the whole tube is the pitot - if that makes sense!

Fantastic work Paul!

Hard to say from the photos I have what colour the pitot was, but seems (to me) to have been RLM 76 atleast halfway along the tube (possibly further) with the tip stainless steel. Pic from William Green's 'Warplanes of the Third Reich':

STA52180.JPG

Last edited:
Nice! Didn't recall seeing that picture before, although I borrowed Green's book from the local library maybe 20 times when I was a teen. I really like your paint job and weathering and would agree with you the tube for the pitot would be 76 except for the SS tip. Take note though that the internal frames on the canopy in the above pic appear a much darker colour than the 76 you portrayed - if that matters to you.

Thanks everyone - bit of tidying to do on her today :)

Fantastic work Paul!

Hard to say from the photos I have what colour the pitot was, but seems (to me) to have been RLM 76 atleast halfway along the tube (possibly further) with the tip stainless steel. Pic from William Green's 'Warplanes of the Third Reich':

Now THAT is a good picture (been looking all over the net for one like that - far too many starboard shots for my liking). Thanks Evan.

Andy - yup, agree about the frame, it's clearer in this pic than any of the others I've seen.

Hokay - addressed the canopy frame and pitot.

Moved the rudder hinges down a bit

Added a little hamfisted detail around the tail

Drilled out the holes in the nose

Checked the 2 decals which tore (one into 3 pieces :shock:)

Dusted up the wheels

Will she do, do you think? :oops:

DSCF1083.JPG

Now just need some sun to take proper pictures

Thanks guys

Kevin - suggestions in the painting instructions and online tend to point to this particular crate being polished to a high sheen (presumably on the expectation that shiny things go faster)

I agree, I would normally drop a top coat of satin onto my Luftwaffe birds but I'm not so sure about this one.

In this pic you can see the Stammkennzeichen reflected over the wing Balkenkreuz

Me163A - KE+SW.jpg

Although I'm happy to be called a crazy fool and convinced otherwise :)

Very true easy to see in that b&w it is glossy some.Then on we go and some good research and obs.:thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back