**** DONE: Fw 189 A1 v7+1H - Me/ Fw Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Fw 189 A1 v7+1H Focke-Wulf and Messerschmitt Group Build

User name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: 2, Intermediate
Kit: MPM Foke-Wulf Fw 189A
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: Eduard Masks. The kit comes with resin and photo etched parts.

This is my 1st entry for the Focke-Wulf and Messerschmitt Group Build The aircraft I will model is the one which is shown on the box art:

Focke-Wulf 189 A1
Werke No: 2100
Unit Code: v7+1H
Built: Prague, July 1941

V7+1H of Luftwaffe, 1.(H)32 was based at Pontsalenjoki, Finland on may 4th 1943 wile on a reconnaissance mission when attacked and shot down by Russian fighters. The only survivor of the attack and crash landing was the pilot, Lothar Mothes. Mothes eventually made it back to friendly territory, but the aircraft sat there in the woods untouched until recovered my Jim Pearce in 1990. Mothes was reunited with his aircraft in 1996 at the Biggin Hill International Air show.

Below are pictures of V7+1H in the MPM box art, then before and after the recovery, and at the start of restoration. Also shown is two pictures of Lothar Mothes, the first taken during WWII, and the second in 1996 with Jim Pearce at Biggin Hill.

Information about the MPM kit will come in a later post.

fw189_CentreSectionProfile_gallery.jpg
fw189_oldcentresection_gallery.jpg
fw189_recovery1_gallery.jpg
P4154693.JPG
fw189_CentreSection1_gallery.jpg
fw189_Fin-restoredrudder_gallery.jpg
lothar-mothes_uniform.jpg
pearce_mothes.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I did feel like doing something a bit different and this one has been sitting on my shelf staring at me for over ten years!

Not sure if you will be interested in this Glenn but this month's issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling (Vol 33 Issue 03) has a compact build review on the Great Wall Hobby Fw 189A-2. If you can't lay your hands on a copy and would like the article, just PM your email and it will be done.

Last edited:
I finally made a start on this one tonight although nothing to take pictures of yet. Just a couple of hours cleaning up parts on the sprues so I could spray the interior parts RLM 66 and the landing gear and gear bay parts RLM 02. The word "flash" doesn't even begin to describe some of the globs of extra plastic on some of these parts. Well it is a limited run kit, and an older one at that. Maybe some pics tomorrow.

I'm trying something new with the interior parts this time. With so many small parts I was afraid I wouldn't be able to tell what was what if I removed them all from the sprues at one time to paint, so I cleaned them up the best I could wile still attached and sprayed the cockpit parts RLM 66 and the gear and gear bay parts RLM 02. I'll touch them up with a brush after removal from the sprues and final clean up.

I also started assembly by glueing up the tail booms and outer wing panels. A lot of clean up and just a touch of filler will be needed once the glue cures.

Attachments

• P5234974.JPG
    P5234974.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 304
  • P5234973.JPG
    P5234973.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 328

Users who are viewing this thread

Back