Done : Fw190D-9 "Rudel" Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

slaterat

Senior Airman
Feb 24, 2008
Calgary
Boy I'm leaving this down to the wire. Here's a few pictures of how my build is going. It's a Hasegawa 1/72 FW 190 D-9 "Rudel". This is my second use of an airbrush and it has been interesting to say the least. I've got one more evening until I'm done as I still need to apply decals and weathering . Overall I'm happy with the results and want to participate in future group builds.I probably have between 30-40 hours on this build.

0321091916a.jpg

0321092203b.jpg

0321092221a.jpg

0331092202a.jpg

A bit of background . I used tamiya and polyscale acrylics, both worked excellent. I will post pictures tomorrow night when I'm done.

Slaterat

C'mon Dan.....the 'spirit' of the GB must be upheld....maybe not judged....on a technicality.....but allowed to be part of the GB theme.....What do ya think Terry?

Yeah, I think in this case, especially as the current rules are far from 'comprehensively complete', we can allow the entry. It'll be judged as far as what has been seen, but of course, this means that, without start to finish build pics, the points awarded could be limited.
I think we all agree, it's more the 'spirit' of the thing than the competition, but Dan is right - it is supposed to be a start to finish build.
In an effort to avoid dispute/disagreement/etc in future builds, the rules and guidlines will be published, in full, revised form, shortly. This should mean that the requirements for each build, showing what is and isn't allowed, and what is required in the way of information and illustration, will be presented in a simple form, so that there should be no confusion or doubt.
I'm also very pleased to inform you all that an oversight on my part has been rectified - our good friend and micro-surgeon, the amazing Plastic Practioner, Doktor Wurger, has agreed to be one of the Group Build judges.
Now we'll HAVE to get things right!!

No worries Dan! Just one of those cases where something can be read two ways...

Be good when the build guidelines are defined correctly though, to avoid problems in the future.

I agree Evan, and it IS being rectified at this time.
This first Group Build was, in many ways, thrown together 'enthusiastically', shall we say! The way I see it, this first GB is very much a trial, with somewhat 'loose' rules. For example, the placings haven't really taken into account the various scales properly, and the Categories haven't really been strictly defined. Although I'm sure that, like me, you all want to avoid a system that is too strict or cumbersome, there does need to be a better defined set of 'rules' and guidelines, and to this end, work is now underway to rectify any weaknesses in this area.
With luck, during the next week or so, a new 'formula' will be published here, which should show, clearly and simply, what is required for all future Group Builds. Also, for each subsequent GB, when the start dates are announced, the subject will be clarified fully, so that all entrants will know what can and cannot be entered for a particular subject theme. This should avoid any confusion as to what type of aircraft/vehicle or whatever, and which period (for example) within a GB title is acceptable. Hopefully, all will become clear very soon!
Meanwhile, thank you all for your patience and, more importantly thank you all very much for your enthusiasm and participation - a bl**dy marvellous effort by all!
Terry.

Unfortunately I don't have an earlier picture of the build in progress, but I don't think I'm a threat to win anyways :) I've got a second build to start for this Gruppe build too. Overall participating in the Gruppe build has been a very posiitve experience. I bought an airbrush that I should of got years ago and best of all it helped to encourage my 13 year old son to build and paint his Warhammer 40k figures and models. It has turned into a great bonding exercise for us that hopefully we can enjoy for years.

Slaterat

That's absolutely great news to hear Slat! Regardless of the 'competition' aspect of the GB's, the fact that it is encouraging people, across the world, not only to do some 'serious' modelling, but to re-create history in miniature is, I believe, the most important thing here. As in Slat's case, where it has literally brought people together, then that's fantastic, and a very welcome extra bonus.
The idea of a number of people modelling the same or similar subject is a good one, enabling all of the above mentioned events of bonding, sharing etc., but Jan's idea of a focused Group Build, concentrating in a (sort of) formal fashion on a particular aspect of aviation history, I think is marvellous, and I'd like to thank our Swettish friend again for suggesting the idea in the first place. Well done Jan -now, it's your round!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back